cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Unity, OpenXR and Oculus Integration Package, the controllers get stuck in their origin

Magnolisa
Explorer

Hi, I’ve noticed that after installing Oculus Integration package, all action based controllers in my project stop working. Specifically, even though both rotation and position of the controllers is successfully tracked (I have tested the inputs), the controllers in game stay at origin point and only reflect rotation, not position. Unchecking OculusXR Feature in the XR plugin management or uninstalling Oculus Integration package restores the functionality and controllers can move normally again. 

Device based interactors work, but I don’t want to use them because they’re too clunky and uncomfortable.

Using:

Oculus Integration package v41, OVRPlugin 1.73 using OpenXR backend

XR Interaction Toolkit v2.0.2

Unity v2021.3.5f1 (LTS) but it was the same with 2021.3.3f1

Oculus Quest 2

Note that issue manifests both in editor and when deployed.

7 REPLIES 7

Magnolisa
Explorer

If anyone is struggling with the same, it appears that reconstructing your project with Unity 2020.3.21f1 makes the problem go away. I haven't found any other solution so far other than downgrading.

Magnolisa
Explorer

Still broken on 2021.3.6f1.

OneFloatingHead
Explorer

I just switched from Oculus in the XR Plug-in Management to OpenXR (because the Oculus provider was giving me terrible problems with display jutter and freeze, and the OpenXR appears to be rock solid)... but as said above, the rotation of the controllers updates but not the position (as seen in XR Ray Interactor).

I'm in Unity 2021.3.6f1 and all my packages are up to date.

It'd be nice to know what's up with that, or how to fix it!

OneFloatingHead
Explorer

Digging a little deeper, the controllers work just fine (once I get a scene deeper into my project and the avatar is in place, the hands move and animate correctly).

HOWEVER, in all scenes, the XR Interactor Line Visual is sprouting out of my forehead instead of my controller (hand).  Which is ... really weird.

I even tried to apply the same transforms I have on my avatar hands to it, but it won't budge.  

EDIT:  The XR Interactor Reticle Visual seems to work fine, even though it doesn't render on UI elements.  It'll work as a stopgap for now, but I reallllyyyyy want my lines back.

OneFloatingHead
Explorer

Creating an new project, it all works.  Trying to refresh the various XR and input details in my old project fails.  I may need to migrate the project into a new install...

Hi, I think your problem is different - you're mentioning issues using OpenXR backend where previously you didn't use it. I'm using OpenXR backend AND the OpenXR plugin (meaning, none of the OVR stuff) so you might be running into different issues altogether.

However, for those that are using OpenXR plugin together with the OpenXR backend of the integration plugin, the problem is with the OpenXR plugin version. If you downgrade it to 1.2.8 everything works as expected. We'll need to wait for Unity to fix in future OpenXR releases.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/controllers-not-tracking-moving-from-origin-openxr-interaction-toolk...

OneFloatingHead
Explorer

For now, I switched to a Device based XROrigin... which works, but feels like giving up.  For now, at least.