cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you calibrate the floor height?

Slayemin
Expert Protege
I'm building a room scale VR game where people stand and move around in the play space. I have the Oculus Touch controllers and two cameras. The cameras are mounted on either side of my desk, with about 5 feet of distance between them. The cameras are tilted about 5 degrees upwards from a perfectly horizontal position.

In the development of my game, I'm creating my VR character and orienting my tracking origin to the floor of the play space. I set my height at 6'1 in the room setup. When I'm standing at full height in my room, the real world floor does not match the game world floor. It feels like there is about 10-20 centimeters of vertical offset, where the game floor is higher than the play space floor. This makes me feel taller in the game than I actually am.

I was tempted to just nudge the VR camera down until I hit the correct height, but it is a dirty hack / work around which could potentially cause other players to be shorter than they really are because their room calibration is correct. So, this feels like it should be a preference setting or calibration process which happens during the room setup. The camera's people have mounted in their play area may vary in height from the floor, so we shouldn't make any assumptions about default camera height from floor.

I know with the Vive, a part of their setup process is to have the player place their HMD on the ground and then the floor is calibrated from that position.

PS. Forum Glitch: For some reason, I can't start a new discussion without viewing the contents of an existing discussion.
1 REPLY 1

SiggiG
Protege
This is listed in the known issues:
"Post-calibration height drift of up to a couple feet can occur. "
CCP Games, EVE: Valkyrie developer | @SiggiGG