cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Facebook Still Funding Developers..?

Anonymous
Not applicable
During the Oculus Connect 2 and 3 keynotes Oculus announced that Facebook would be funding developers to the tune of $250m for the following year, but during Oculus Connect 4 there was no mention of further funding.

Are Facebook still funding developers next year at all? I'm developing a game that is being done using free, trial or student versions of software and to be able to sell this game I need to buy the full versions. I'm not planning on making any money from these sales, if Oculus are up for it I want 100% of this money (including the Oculus 30% cut) to go to cancer research.

I'm going to need around £6000 to buy the full versions of the software that I need the last time I checked.

Just to be clear, this post is NOT an invitation for donations!
2 REPLIES 2

InnerExodus
Adventurer
Hi,

At this time, Oculus is not providing funding for student and research projects.

While it is true that relationships currently exist where funding is provided, these general apply to content and experiences that are well into their development process.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

At this time, Oculus is not providing funding for student and research projects.

While it is true that relationships currently exist where funding is provided, these general apply to content and experiences that are well into their development process.

Well I'm planning to have my game finished before I apply for funding and this isn't a student or research project. It's going to be a full game that I'm planning to have finished late next year (probably October or November).

When I have finished the game I'm going to need to buy the full versions of the software that I've been using because you can't sell a game that's been created with anything other than the full versions, not even for charity.

The only other thing that I can think of to get funding would be a Kickstarter of some sort once I've finished the game, but Kickstarters for games generally include game keys for backers which I'm not keen to do because I want people to buy the thing so that money goes to cancer research.