cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlitzRift - Blitz3D Integration (Open Source)

Marbas
Honored Guest
EDIT:
For those curious how this would look when working correctly, along with headtracking, I've put together an almost identical scene setup in Unity.

Link:
http://www.marbas3d.com/files/UnityRift.rar

Greetings fellow Rifters!

I'm releasing my Blitz3D integration for the Oculus Rift.

This was basically a fun project I did back when the Oculus Rift was launched on Kickstarter.
The main purpose of the techdemo was to implement and experiment with the Barrel distortion correction (warping).

Blitz3D is a somewhat dated (still available) development platform with built in 3D engine based on DX7.
However it's a good tool for prototyping ideas that gamedev beginners might find useful.

Source-Code included!

To compile the project, you'll need:
- A copy of Blitz3D. There is a demo available that you may use. Untested!
- IDEal. A proper IDE for Blitz3D (Free).

From IDEal, open the BlitzRift.ipf file to load the project.

A precompiled exe is also included.

Head-tracking support is not integrated yet!
(I may address this later when I receive my devkit)

DOWNLOAD - BlitzRift_SRC_v1.0.rar

Enjoy!
13 REPLIES 13

cybereality
Grand Champion
Awesome man! Nice to hear Blitz3D is still alive and kicking, it was a great platform.

Marbas
Honored Guest
Thanks Cyber! I may be adding support for the other BRL dev tools, like BlitzMAX and Monkey... once I get my DK 🙂

palmertech
Explorer
Blitz Basic was the first language I learned, also used Blitz 3D. Cool to see this!

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
It's a shame Platypus was a 2d shooter. It was the best looking Blitz game ever created (imo). A 3d version that let you fly through a plasticine landscape with a Rift would have been awesome 🙂

Marbas
Honored Guest
"palmertech" wrote:
Blitz Basic was the first language I learned, also used Blitz 3D. Cool to see this!

Cool to hear you were once a blitzer Palmer! 😄 I didn't know you used to code, and thought you exclusively lived in the hardworld 😉

Capyvara
Explorer
Blitz3D gave me good memories, used it a lot in the past.

I was the author of YAL (Yet another lightmapper, at the code archives), seeing the code nowadays feels very strange.

InnocentSam
Honored Guest
Very nice work! Hope you received your devkit by now 😄

Is it possible you could make a port-friendly version? Everytime I attempt to port Blitzrift to my game, nothing seems to happen. The most I got to happen was a black screen!

-Sam

Marbas
Honored Guest
"InnocentSam" wrote:

Is it possible you could make a port-friendly version? Everytime I attempt to port Blitzrift to my game, nothing seems to happen. The most I got to happen was a black screen!

-Sam

Yes I've had the devkit for a while now. But since I've been busy with other projects, there's been none progress on this port. Actually I haven't touched Blitz3D for quite some time and I doubt I'll ever will again.

If you haven't yet, I strongly suggest you take a look at Unity for your Oculus Rift developing. It's really easy to use and have official Oculus support.

InnocentSam
Honored Guest
"Marbas" wrote:
"InnocentSam" wrote:

-Sam

Yes I've had the devkit for a while now. But since I've been busy with other projects, there's been none progress on this port. Actually I haven't touched Blitz3D for quite some time and I doubt I'll ever will again.

If you haven't yet, I strongly suggest you take a look at Unity for your Oculus Rift developing. It's really easy to use and have official Oculus support.

Yeah, Unity is good and all, but if I want to do some coding but without the brain-hurt, I just work on my project on Blitz. I just thought it'd be neat to use the Rift on it.

But if you can't work on it, that's fine, it was worth an ask 🙂

-Sam