cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlitzRift - Blitz3D Integration (Open Source)

Marbas
Level 2
EDIT:
For those curious how this would look when working correctly, along with headtracking, I've put together an almost identical scene setup in Unity.

Link:
http://www.marbas3d.com/files/UnityRift.rar

Greetings fellow Rifters!

I'm releasing my Blitz3D integration for the Oculus Rift.

This was basically a fun project I did back when the Oculus Rift was launched on Kickstarter.
The main purpose of the techdemo was to implement and experiment with the Barrel distortion correction (warping).

Blitz3D is a somewhat dated (still available) development platform with built in 3D engine based on DX7.
However it's a good tool for prototyping ideas that gamedev beginners might find useful.

Source-Code included!

To compile the project, you'll need:
- A copy of Blitz3D. There is a demo available that you may use. Untested!
- IDEal. A proper IDE for Blitz3D (Free).

From IDEal, open the BlitzRift.ipf file to load the project.

A precompiled exe is also included.

Head-tracking support is not integrated yet!
(I may address this later when I receive my devkit)

DOWNLOAD - BlitzRift_SRC_v1.0.rar

Enjoy!
13 REPLIES 13

cybereality
Level 16
Awesome man! Nice to hear Blitz3D is still alive and kicking, it was a great platform.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Marbas
Level 2
Thanks Cyber! I may be adding support for the other BRL dev tools, like BlitzMAX and Monkey... once I get my DK 🙂

palmertech
Level 3
Blitz Basic was the first language I learned, also used Blitz 3D. Cool to see this!

Fluke
Level 4
It's a shame Platypus was a 2d shooter. It was the best looking Blitz game ever created (imo). A 3d version that let you fly through a plasticine landscape with a Rift would have been awesome 🙂
In-VR Gaming Convention: http://queue.vip/8nNttrc

Marbas
Level 2
"palmertech" wrote:
Blitz Basic was the first language I learned, also used Blitz 3D. Cool to see this!

Cool to hear you were once a blitzer Palmer! 😄 I didn't know you used to code, and thought you exclusively lived in the hardworld 😉

Capyvara
Level 2
Blitz3D gave me good memories, used it a lot in the past.

I was the author of YAL (Yet another lightmapper, at the code archives), seeing the code nowadays feels very strange.

InnocentSam
Level 2
Very nice work! Hope you received your devkit by now 😄

Is it possible you could make a port-friendly version? Everytime I attempt to port Blitzrift to my game, nothing seems to happen. The most I got to happen was a black screen!

-Sam

Marbas
Level 2
"InnocentSam" wrote:

Is it possible you could make a port-friendly version? Everytime I attempt to port Blitzrift to my game, nothing seems to happen. The most I got to happen was a black screen!

-Sam

Yes I've had the devkit for a while now. But since I've been busy with other projects, there's been none progress on this port. Actually I haven't touched Blitz3D for quite some time and I doubt I'll ever will again.

If you haven't yet, I strongly suggest you take a look at Unity for your Oculus Rift developing. It's really easy to use and have official Oculus support.

InnocentSam
Level 2
"Marbas" wrote:
"InnocentSam" wrote:

-Sam

Yes I've had the devkit for a while now. But since I've been busy with other projects, there's been none progress on this port. Actually I haven't touched Blitz3D for quite some time and I doubt I'll ever will again.

If you haven't yet, I strongly suggest you take a look at Unity for your Oculus Rift developing. It's really easy to use and have official Oculus support.

Yeah, Unity is good and all, but if I want to do some coding but without the brain-hurt, I just work on my project on Blitz. I just thought it'd be neat to use the Rift on it.

But if you can't work on it, that's fine, it was worth an ask 🙂

-Sam