cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every third frame is frozen (sometimes two out of every 3 frames)

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
My OpenGL application is an emulator that displays on a virtual cinema screen. The emulated game runs on a different thread and OpenGL context than the VR cinema.

It works perfectly (looking around the virtual cinema with a blank screen) until I start the emulated game while wearing the Rift.
But from then on, 1 (or sometimes 2 if I'm really unlucky) of the 3 frames in the VR swapchain are frozen to whatever they were displaying at that point and locked to my face. The remaining 2 (or 1) frame(s) render as normal and respond to head-tracking. Once it gets into this state, it never recovers, no matter what I do, until I close my application and restart it.

But if I take off the Rift to start the emulated game, then put the Rift back on again after the game has started, everything works perfectly (looking around the virtual cinema with a screen displaying the emulated game).

This only happens when I use the Oculus API. It works fine using the Rift with the SteamVR API.

One of two bugs in the Oculus SDK must be happening:
1. Extra load on the CPU/HardDisk/GPU during emulated game startup while calling the Oculus SDK functions is causing the Oculus SDK to malfunction.
2. Some OpenGL initialization I'm doing on the other thread (with shared display lists) while calling the Oculus SDK functions is causing the Oculus SDK to malfunction.
0 REPLIES 0