cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to color profile the DK2 under 0.7 and later?

drbobrinkman
Honored Guest
I'm doing research on color blindness, and I'm using the Oculus Rift DK2 for some of that work. In order to create my software, I need to carefully measure the color spectrum generated by the Rift. I used to be able to do this easily, because I could run my color profiling software, display on the Rift, and measure.

With 0.7.0 and later, is there a way to force the Rift to show up as a display, and display normal system windows on it? I know that I shouldn't normally do this, but I don't want to have to write color profiling software specifically for the Rift. I have heard rumors of some command line tools that might help me with this, but my Google-fu is failing me so far...
8 REPLIES 8

jherico
Adventurer
"drbobrinkman" wrote:
With 0.7.0 and later, is there a way to force the Rift to show up as a display, and display normal system windows on it?

Just don't install the runtime. Or alternatively connect it to a Mac or Linux machine.

drbobrinkman
Honored Guest
"jherico" wrote:
Just don't install the runtime. Or alternatively connect it to a Mac or Linux machine.

Good idea. With the runtime uninstalled I see the screen briefly, but then the display turns itself off. I'm not sure how to keep it awake and connected.

I tried installing the 0.6 runtime, but the service keeps crashing.

jherico
Adventurer
"drbobrinkman" wrote:
With the runtime uninstalled I see the screen briefly, but then the display turns itself off. I'm not sure how to keep it awake and connected.

The power button by the LED doesn't wake it up? That's odd.

drbobrinkman
Honored Guest
"jherico" wrote:
"drbobrinkman" wrote:
With the runtime uninstalled I see the screen briefly, but then the display turns itself off. I'm not sure how to keep it awake and connected.

The power button by the LED doesn't wake it up? That's odd.

It wakes up very briefly, and then immediately turns off again.

It turns out that installing 0.6 or 0.5 fails on my system (I have Windows 10), BUT ... while the 0.5 installer runs, the DK2 display stays awake! So I just left the 0.5 installer hung, did my color profiling, and now I'm good to go.

drbobrinkman
Honored Guest
Okay, so here is the spectrum from the DK2.
DK2.png
I'm puzzled: How can White be so different from Red+Green+Blue? I haven't seen this on other displays I've tested.

I repeated the experiment on both Mac and PC, and got nearly identical results. I'm wondering if my measurement instrument is problematic, or if there is just something I don't understand about how color profiles for the DK2 work.

MichaelNikelsky
Honored Guest
Just curious but what exactly does the graph show? Or are the numbers to be ignored because otherwise that display would be very, very ultraviolett if those were the wavelengths 😄

Anyways, I would really love to see a way to get a decent color profile for the rift or at least an icc-Profile shipping with it. Just assuming that it is sRGB is not really satisfying.

drbobrinkman
Honored Guest
"MichaelNikelsky" wrote:
Just curious but what exactly does the graph show? Or are the numbers to be ignored because otherwise that display would be very, very ultraviolett if those were the wavelengths 😄

Anyways, I would really love to see a way to get a decent color profile for the rift or at least an icc-Profile shipping with it. Just assuming that it is sRGB is not really satisfying.

Yeah, I was a little sloppy. The range is 370nm to 730nm with each tick mark being 3.333nm. So the blue peak is around 460nm, the green peak around 530nm, and the red peak around 620nm.

joan
Protege
Some things that might mess up the probe: low latency, chromatic aberration, overdrive. Overdrive is a way to mitigate black smear by over targeting during brightness changes.