cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irrlicht 3D Engine

troffmo5
Honored Guest
Hi,
i wrote month ago a test for my DIY HMD with the Irrlicht 3D engine (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/).
I've just updated it to use the distortion formula and parameters from the Oculus SDK.
As soon as receive my devkit i will try to intergrate the tracker, or if you have time and want to have fun, you can help me to improve it 😄
Here is the link: https://github.com/troffmo5/HMDIrrlicht

Have fun!
16 REPLIES 16

Marbas
Honored Guest
Sweet! I posted a request for Oculus Rift support last year on the Irrlicht forums. And now its happening! Cant wait to start experimenting with this engine and the Rift.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Awesome! The more engine support the better.

wcarss
Honored Guest
I checked this out a little while ago, and now I've received my rift I can confirm that it does a convincing transformation. In getting it to work, I had a problem with the shader; here's a line of code found at https://github.com/troffmo5/HMDIrrlicht/blob/master/HMDStereoRender.cpp#L32:

" gl_TexCoord[0].st = gl_MultiTexCoord0;"

In order to get the project to work in VS2010 on Windows 7, I had to remove '.st' from that line, so it looks like this:

" gl_TexCoord[0] = gl_MultiTexCoord0;"

With '.st', an error to the effect of a 4-vector of floats being assigned to a 2-vector of floats was being popped out of the shader, and most of the scenery didn't render correctly. After removing that, hunky dory!

multimedial
Explorer
Hi,

I am a fan of the Irrlicht engine which I also have used for some projects, this is great news as I would like to use Irrlicht for some demos...

Brainsaw
Honored Guest
Hi,

I am also a long-time Irrlicht user, and as I did receive my DevKit last friday I am going to try to integrate it as well. But as I am doing all this in my free time I can't tell you any date when I'm going to get it done. I hope soon.

geekmaster
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
Awesome! The more engine support the better.

I want Panda3D (open source game engine used in Disney games), along with Irrlicht and Ogre (and ogrekit), and Cube2 as well. There is a wealth of environments that each of these engines has behind it, and more to explore in VR is a wonderful thing.

Brainsaw
Honored Guest
This is just a little demo for the integration of the Rift in Irrlicht engine. It includes source and executable. To rebuild it you need the Oculus SDK and Irrlicht 1.8.

Big thanks to Suvi for helping me with getting the Rotation from the rift applied correctly (a thread on the Irrlicht forum) and to Marbas for the distortion code (another thread on the Irrlicht forum .. sorry for the heavily modified code, but I just convert *everything* to my preferred coding-style). The demo uses assets from the original Irrlicht distribution.

The movement in the demo is controlled with WASD, and you can rotate the camera using the mouse. Movement is always done in the direction you are looking.

You can download the demo from my homepage

cybereality
Grand Champion
Not bad, but it looks like the eyes are reversed.

geekmaster
Protege
Yes, cross-eye view on above image.