cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My VR unity experience keeps crashing with a ntdll.dll error

shawncw1
Honored Guest
Hey everyone,

I'm working on a VR social world called Convrge where people can meet up and hang out with others. I thought I would lead with this since our build is public so if anyone is able to reproduce my error and knows a solution please let me know! Download is at http://www.convrge.co

Our latest build runs fine on my Macbook pro and most every other mac or win rig I've loaded it onto or that our users have. This seems to be a very niche problem / something specific to my machine. I can stay in the experience for about 5 - 10 mins on average before being kicked and seeing the below ntdll.dll error message. Sometimes it's instant as soon as I load the world, sometimes it takes 15 mins, there doesn't seem to be a pattern:

Error message I see after the game crashes: http://i.imgur.com/ZTjbCtL.jpg

Full text of the error:
---------
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Convrge_Win_0.10.exe
Application Version: 4.6.1.51269
Application Timestamp: 54819edb
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.17031
Fault Module Timestamp: 5308893d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003fd12
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 46d1
Additional Information 2: 46d1c12205ae881d9878aa5b56fc9648
Additional Information 3: 3eba
Additional Information 4: 3ebaf8d2848cbfbab57d22308d930cdb
---------

I've seen people include their dxdiag.txt file for reports like this so here's mine (attached)

And here's the laptop itself: http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-3- ... B00IKF2H12

At one point I thought this error was being caused by other clients connecting to the game, but I've been testing it tonight with no one but myself in the world and the error still occurs. I've tried rolling back my Nvidia drivers one version at a time for about 4 versions with no success. I'm back on the latest Nvidia drivers now. I've installed all available win 8.1 updates. Unity is version 4.6.1 due to a plugin were using that isn't supported on any further versions.

This bug seems to occur randomly and not associated with any particular part of the world, other users, character movement, etc.

Please let me know if you need any more info. We're heading to GDC in two days and would really like to show our stuff on this machine without it crashing all the time 😞

Thanks so much!
26 REPLIES 26

DeanOfTheDriver
Protege
Did you capture this dxdiag with the rift plugged in?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you provide some more information?

The output_log.txt from the _Data folder and the full dump files would help.

shawncw1
Honored Guest
"DeanOfTheDrivers" wrote:
Did you capture this dxdiag with the rift plugged in?

No I was running this without the rift plugged in. We allow desktop users / full screen mode. But I get the same error with the rift plugged in as well.

"cybereality" wrote:
Can you provide some more information?

The output_log.txt from the _Data folder and the full dump files would help.

Here's the output log. Where can I find the 'full dump files'?

Thanks to you both!

DeanOfTheDriver
Protege
If you allow for an exclusively 2D mode, do you still get the crash if you don't integrate the Oculus SDK?

homin.Baldozer
Honored Guest
What the API compatibility level do you use in Unity?
If you use .NET 2.0 subset, what if you build the project with .NET 2.0?

shawncw1
Honored Guest
"DeanOfTheDrivers" wrote:
If you allow for an exclusively 2D mode, do you still get the crash if you don't integrate the Oculus SDK?

The "2d mode" actually uses the Oculus SDK to check if a Rift is detected and if not it shows fullscreen (it's even the same build).

"homin.Baldozer" wrote:
What the API compatibility level do you use in Unity?
If you use .NET 2.0 subset, what if you build the project with .NET 2.0?

We are currently using .NET 2.0

catid
Explorer
It's not clear, do you also get this crash when a Rift is attached? It may be a code path we had not tested since often times we're testing with the headset plugged in and in use.

catid
Explorer
Until very recent (unreleased) versions of the SDK we did not do a lot of null checking in the API. So if you are running ovrHmd_DismissHSW() and other functions but with null pointers it may crash.

shawncw1
Honored Guest
We experience the same error with the Rift plugged in and when it is not, unfortunately.