cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus VR - Top-Down Crawler Camera Setup

pixelboi
Honored Guest
Awesome Oculus Community - I cometh seeking your help on a matter I believe to be a simple solution. I have been up for about 16 hours straight.

How should I go about having my VR cams setup for top-down crawler type game. almost like in spectator mode. I would like to keep my head forward (looking forward), but flip the cameras downwards. The thing is something is overriding the camera position in Y-axis.

Here's what I have tried:
1. Flip my world 90 deg and that seem to work except i cannot adjust my cam height. My face is to the ground literally lol.
2. I tried flipping the left and right over cams - no no. gets all wonky

Please help me with this. I was thinking maybe I remove the controllers from the OVR prefab and use a simple follow script so it follows the player. Thanks for any help guys.

Andre AKA pixelboi
3 REPLIES 3

pixelboi
Honored Guest
Anyone with ideas on how to accomplish the Top-Down VR effect? Please and thank you!

Tamulur
Explorer
I tried having the world at an angle or even at fully 90 degrees but it felt weird, because you feel which way gravity is going in your real world and you constantly have to suppress the impression that everything in the virtual world should be falling down ("your" down, that is, the things in the world should fall parallel to the tiny world's ground). I wonder whether that is something that players can get used to. Not having to look down all the time would make top-down games more comfortable. For now, I decided to make use of the different head angles to switch between perspectives.

pixelboi
Honored Guest
I did not get the Top-Down effect I was going for, but I did manage to get something that felt comfortable. It's 3rd person view with the OVR slightly elevated and pulled behind the character. Not truly Top-Down, but you instead of hanging your head downwards you can still look forward. It works for now, but I'm sure I'll need to tweak it some.

Here's how I did it:

1. I had to remove the OVR camera from its parent
2. Make my adjustments and then drop it back in as a child object

If I try to adjust without removing it, it goes back to the default Y-axis values.

It takes a lot of tweaking. I even tried not using the control scripts OVR has and my own. The downside is when you look around, you are looking away from your character. IF I can figure out how to make my character move to where I am looking then this would be okay. I don't always want my player to move everywhere I am looking. For now I am good. Hope my solution help someone else.