cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off-The-Shelf Input Devices

fabsterpal
Honored Guest
Hey,
I've been browsing the forums, and there are some really impressive looking DIY projects and startups over the last few years (since Oculus 'resurrected' VR) focusing on solving the problem of human interaction.
However, With the DK2 release coming closer, there's one question on my mind: What's the best off-the-shelf input device for the rift?

By off-the-shelf, I don't mean that I can pick up at a supermarket, but are there any data gloves that are available for purchase (not pre-order) now?
Preferably, it'd have to be affordable (as I intend to have it as the primarily supported input device for my project). Data gloves seem to look promising, To my understanding, the only one that can currently be bought is the 5DT data glove, but the prices there seem to be extortionate (Just within my budget, but not at all available for consumers)
I've also looked into the Kinect, and whilst the full body tracking is a plus, it's simply not a viable choice.

So: What input device did you use for the DK1? Did you simply use a gamepad, and if so, did it break the immersion at all?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide,
Fabian
3 REPLIES 3

lmaceleighton
Honored Guest
I think 'best', is going to vary widely from person to person. I made a controller to suit my tastes, and will continue to do so. Now that I made the VR Gun input I am making my own ODT, that is not a standing slip and slide sort of device(not that that is bad...).
What will you be using the rift for mostly?

fabsterpal
Honored Guest
"lmaceleighton" wrote:
I think 'best', is going to vary widely from person to person. I made a controller to suit my tastes, and will continue to do so. Now that I made the VR Gun input I am making my own ODT, that is not a standing slip and slide sort of device(not that that is bad...).
What will you be using the rift for mostly?

The game I'm working on will be heavily social oriented, as such some form of dataglove would be good (hand contact), but there will also need to be input data for medieval combat (again, dataglove would fit the bill I'm sure).

lmaceleighton
Honored Guest
You could certainly make your own data glove. A good IMU, and some flex sensors could go a long way. If you decide to mak one, let me know and I would be happy to help in anyway I can:O)