cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from PC to Mac

bdeschryver
Explorer
Hey guys,

I am thinking of switching from PC to mac (various reasons) but I wanted to have the advice of other (skilled) developers on that change.
My workflow mainly uses Unity, Blender, Sketchup; the targeted macbook(15inch with Nvidia 750M) should be used only for some moderate Unity and 3D creation and running moderate demos with the DK2. (similar to tuscany demo)
My current PC is a Dell Precision M4800 laptop with Nvidia Quatro K1100M.

Do you think this is a good idea ? Should there be other things to consider ?
Do you also have the feeling that more dev is done at Oculus for PC and that sticking to it would be a better idea for the future ?
If you have the same macbook, do you experience good results ?

Any thought would help before making the change !

Thanks
28 REPLIES 28

knowledgehammer
Honored Guest
Indeed, I have been developing on a Mac for more than 12 years, and I can say its a smoother design flow, but you will hit barriers in regards to features, updates and controller drivers. For example, you can design your models with a Normal Map & Bump Map, but on a mac, the DX11 tessellation shaders do not yet work. I have read this and many other Unity3D problems will be fixed with version 5, but considering the $1500 pricetag, indie devs may hold out until its proven itself better. But overall, creating & working on a mac is quite a bit more fluid that on a PC. Im actually getting a PC on my desk to run the DK2 better for development testing & design. I'd simply say, have both to bounce between the two for the best of both worlds. Good luck!

bdeschryver
Explorer
@knowledgehammer:
Are you getting a PC because you are facing limitations on the mac with DK2 or just to be able to test your work on both platforms ?
Thanks

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"bdeschryver" wrote:

I am thinking of switching from PC to mac

Don't. :lol:

bdeschryver
Explorer
@sharpfish: could you give some details on your answer to make it more valuable ? Thanks !

bardz
Honored Guest
So you are thinking of switching from a personal computer to a operating system?

nuclear
Explorer
"bardz" wrote:
So you are thinking of switching from a personal computer to a operating system?

Mac is a computer, MacOS is an operating system 🙂

I know why you said it, as I'm also irritated by the "PC vs Mac" terminology, since a Mac is also a PC, it's just not *the* IBM PC, but neither are the other PCs really... but get your facts straight 🙂

noquarter
Honored Guest
I would only switch if you have engough money and a lot of time over!

I switched from my pc to a iMac and then back to a PC with windows and linux os. I like the Mac design and it is all solid build and i like that quality. But in my development workflow i am used to work on a windows os and linux os. The OSX operation System is very different - you will not have a right mouse click for example. This sounds stupid, but i dont get used to a system without a right mouse button :D. Copy & Paste buttons are also not perfect placed on the keyboard..

I did not have the time to spend learning the osx system so i sold my iMac for 1000$ and build up a great development pc. Now i can work again fast 🙂

If you planning to produce music, the osx system will save you time and a lot of trouble. For music production the mac is a great system. For development id dont think the mac is the best deal.. You can install windows on your mac, but then you can get more power from a real pc for that money.

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is right click on the Mac and has been for many years. I use a Magic Mouse and all you have to do is click on the right side of the mouse. I'm adept developing in both operating systems and given the choice over the last 20 years I've always found Mac to be the way to go. I have a late 2013 Mac Pro 6-core and I dare any windows person to build a windows machine with better specs and a similar warranty for less money. My last desktop was a 2008 Mac Pro 8-core and lasted me until almost 2014. It never failed and I upgraded the card to a 680 before getting the new Mac Pro.

nuclear
Explorer
"noquarter" wrote:
i am used to work on a windows os and linux os. The OSX operation System is very different - you will not have a right mouse click for example. This sounds stupid, but i dont get used to a system without a right mouse button :D.

Of course there is a right mouse button...

And btw OSX is not at all "very different" from linux. Apart for the window system, everything else is pretty much the same. My programs generally build on linux and osx with only minor changes in the makefile (like -framework OpenGL instead of -lGL say). It's windows which is massively different and requires a lot of changes to support (different threading, different directory management, retarded multiple libc versions, retarded mutually exclusive select/WaitForMultipleObjects, etc).

"noquarter" wrote:
Copy & Paste buttons are also not perfect placed on the keyboard..

It's exactly the same as on windows, just instead of ctrl you hold down cmd.