cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anaglyph 3d

genetransfer
Explorer
hey was just wondering if anyone knows the correct color (RGB 0-1) to use for anaglyph 3d left and right eyes.
I was just streaming some youtube videos and came accross the old anaglyph type of 3d. I can get the colors almost right but not sure what they are supposed to be as I can still see blue shadowing in the background with values like...

Left R 1.0f,G 0.0f,B 0.5f
Right R 0.0f, G 1.0f, B 0.5f

while center foreground seems quite clear. not sure what they are supposed to be. thanks for any help.
7 REPLIES 7

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish?

genetransfer
Explorer
Hi cybereality, in my media player I've set it up to play all types of media and screen types and while streaming youtube videos yesterday I stumbling on to the old anaglyph type and I thought I might include that in it as well. I was trying to find the correct colors to overlay the left and right screens as presented to the left and right eyes in the rift (mimicking the glasses of old).

however it does remind me how much those different color glasses where uncomfortable on the eyes, we have been spoiled with the rift. I may not include this option because it is a little uncomfortable but for my own personal need to know it wasn't just because I couldn't get the color right.

so was just wondering if anyone knew the correct colors to use (in RGB), I know there are a few different types, red and green, red and cyan, one with brown I think. but the combinations I have tried use all leave a little ghosting or only clear for foreground images.

not a big deal was just interested if anyone knew.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The way you do it is you discard a particular color channel (or pair of channels) from each eye.

So for standard red/cyan anaglyph you would discard the red channel from the left eye, and then discard the blue and green channels from the right eye. You can do this pretty easily with a full-screen pixel shader, for example.

However, keep in mind that image/video compression may result is some artifacts between the eyes, so you will likely not be able to obtain a ghost-free image. In addition, color reproduction would be poor compared to native stereo.

genetransfer
Explorer
Thanks cybereality, yeah there was still some ghosting. yeah while interested experiment, will leave this out of the player I must have been more tolerant as a child. I used to wonder why people complained about 3d glasses as I didn't notice the uncomfortable nature of the different colors on the eyes back then but now it does cause strain. SBS and OU is a much better way, will leave it at that. thanks again.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Anaglyph has it's uses though obviously it's a "poor man's" solution compared to stuff available today. Decent plastic glasses can be had for around $5-10 and paper glasses for around 0.25 cents. You can play many commercial AAA titles in anaglyph 3D with 3rd party drivers like TriDef. And it will work on mostly any type of monitor you have laying around. So in that sense, it's actually somewhat interesting that you can spend the a few bucks and be playing games in 3D. But, yeah, if you have the cash for an Oculus Rift or any number of modern solutions, they will be much better.

VizionVR
Rising Star
I created some anaglyph images in Photoshop a few years back.
The way I got the colors correct with as little ghosting as possible was to wear my anaglyph glasses while adjusting the color sliders. I'm not sure if you're able to adjust your images that easily in your project, but I wanted to mention it as a possible solution.

genetransfer
Explorer
thanks for the tip vizionvr, actually I've been so tired i didn't think to do that good idea. Although in my initial release I don't think I'll use it as an option just yet (being it does hurt the eyes a little), but might be an interesting thing to have in an update to compare different techniques evolving over time. will do the slider method when I have more time, being there are more than just one color set to sort out. thanks .