PCVR Development
Share PCVR development feedback, issues, and challenges here!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

Idea for Positional Tracking possibly.

So I was just watching some videos about the Oculus hd prototype at E3 and it hit me that wouldn't it be possible to have positional tracking by just using accelerometers? I don't have a whole lot of experience with accelerometers and or any tracking...

App Idea: Altered Consciousness

Hi fellow Oculnauts:I'm interested in using the OR to explore ways of altering our states of consciousness, but I'm an artist by trade and have no coding knowledge, so for now I'll put up some ideas for discussion. If you have the skills required and...

nihilian by Honored Guest
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos

Near-eye light-field displays

http://s2013.siggraph.org/attendees/emerging-technologies/events/near-eye-light-field-displaysJust saw the SIGGRAPH 2013 emerging technologies video, and noticed this neat tidbit. I've been interested in the implications of "light-field" technology e...

aero by Honored Guest
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

Idea for improving Hydra tracking ducking

Hi folks,As I understand it, the Razer Hydra only supports position tracking in one hemi sphere around the base, like so;This is causing me a problem in my demo when you duck down and the hydra goes below the desk, it flips the position values and ma...

Teddy0k by Explorer
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Sensor location?

Does anyone know the precise location of the IMU inside the Rift body? I need to align the center of rotation with some external sensors.I suppose I could always open the Rift and measure, but I'd rather not do that unless necessary.

kwaegel by Honored Guest
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos

"GLSL Sandbox" shaders in Rift

I'm lazy. I needed something for "sky". I'm not going to make geometry for that, even procedurally.So I set up for providing rays to a shader, based on view (this can be used simply, such as "y component is color gradient" -- or it can be a full ray/...

atavener by Adventurer
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

Stereoscopy with objects in distance?

At what distance does stereoscopy become irrelevant and just be 'infinity'?E.g. If I had a 360 degree panorama, and there were no close objects (e.g. a photo taken from a helicopter). Would a stereo display be needed? Would a single image be enough?I...

digital by Explorer
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos

FPS integration tech.

This is my idea. I have designs for a controller that is made for first person shooters using the Oculus Rift. The controller is lightweight, wireless, and ergonomically designed after a rifle without any nonfunctional bulk. It will possess all of th...

Omni E3 video

Hi all,Wanted to share our E3 video, since some folks on this forum were able to make it to our backers event. Great times!Thanks to those who were able to join!Omni Kickstarter page:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-...

jan by Honored Guest
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

Shader Optimization.

I was playing with the shader and wondered if it could be optimized.Lets start with the standard Shader float2 HmdWarp(float2 in01){ float2 theta = (in01 - LensCenter) * ScaleIn; // Scales to [-1, 1] float rSq= theta.x * theta.x + theta.y * theta.y; ...

lazydodo by Honored Guest
  • 80 replies
  • 0 kudos

Positional tracking calibration

I'm still hopeful regarding the idea of approximating positional tracking for scenarios with limited mobility (e.g. the users sitting on a chair) with the accelerometers inside the rift tracker.I think it may be worthwhile to capture real positional ...

sven by Protege
  • 74 replies
  • 0 kudos

Rendering Webcams To Oculus

Hello,I have a bit of code which gets data from two webcams and render the images to the screen side-by-side in c#. I'm interested in buying an Oculus to render one webcam per eye (stereoscopic vision of the real world via 3D webcam, rather than the ...

ebo60 by Honored Guest
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Performance and experience improvement ideas

Hi,I recently integrated support for OR in my DX9 engine, and after playing around with it for a couple of weeks I have two untested ideas I'd like to share. I'd just like some feedback on the feasibility of them, to see if they're worthwhile.1. Barr...

ShivaEngine 3D Integration

After some long nights, i'm happy to announce the ShivaEngine Plugin for free. It will be available the next week. (spécial thanks to NicoX for his precious help) See You. Kalhaan.

lolopojo by Honored Guest
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Motion Blur/Distortion Question

I was happy to find out my Rift arrived yesterday and its been an amazing experience. The only question I've got is regarding this motion blur, or some sort of distortion when I move my head around. If I don't move my head as much, everything feels s...

One camera versus two cameras question

Some people are claiming to me that you can take 1 camera image, shift it left a little bit and display it to the left eye, and shift the same image right a little but and display it to the right eye, and you will get 3D.This would mean that you coul...

darren by Honored Guest
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Executing Barrel Warp by dependent texture lookup

I am currently working on the barrel warp part of Oculus integration and am trying to use dependent texture lookup instead of computing the distortion in the shader in realtime:1) Encode the distortion function into a 2D texture.2) In the shader, fir...

se97031 by Honored Guest
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

SDK License location

I'm planning on releasing a Java port of SDK code for talking to the Rift tracker hardware, and I want to include either the full SDK license, or a link to it, but I can't find either anywhere. The source files all say the SDK is subject to the terms...

jherico by Adventurer
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Aerial feedback

Hail, glorious nation of virtual reality. I apologize for the bad English. While I expect the opportunity to travel to the mainland for the purchase of software needed ... And also expect payroll to order the "main unit" (here I think many will under...

Roziotti by Honored Guest
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos

The Secret Basics of creating VR Scenes

I am wondering, with the population of people now developing for Virtual Reality exploding, if the community here would be interested in viewing some free classes (in text/image form) in the collective wisdom of those who have been creating VR conten...

Runiko by Honored Guest
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos

Is the Oculus Rift 3d only?

Out of curiosity I would like to know if you can play games on the Oculus Rift in a non 3d way , I mean if you could use it just as a normal screen ?Thank you for the answers.

oblivio69 by Honored Guest
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos

are "asymmetric" barrel distortions correct?

By "asymmetric", I mean to look at the distortion applied for just one eye - note that the distortion appears compressed vertically at the outside like in one of the two attached images.I am wondering - and I see this in various Oculus demos - is it ...

Breaking The Two Party System

The big name in consoles are X-Box and Playstation. Both I love and use, however as this guy says http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/zclvhd/pach-attack--who-will-profit-the-most-from-next-gen- It will be difficult to get the Oculus to integrate with ...

Madaras by Expert Protege
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos

Faster automatic magnetometer calibration (Patch)

Hi,attached to this post you find a patch for Util_MagCalibration.h && Util_MagCalibration.cpp which speeds up the auto calibration of the magnetometer alot without reducing the result quality. This is done simply by collecting up to 16 samples and t...

Archy by Honored Guest
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos

Virtual Hands

We have all seen the Razer Hydra, and I admit this appears to be a great device and may be what most of us end up using, however I envision a controller more natural for VR. Gloves, to me, would be an ideal solution. The Peregrine Gaming Glove http:/...

Madaras by Expert Protege
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos

Is anyone working on Linux support?

Hi people.One thing I saw in this forum that looked very promising was some people are already trying to give the Oculus some "mobility" developing Apps for Android. One other thing I was looking for was development made in Linux platforms. I haven't...

dtavares by Honored Guest
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos