cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entertainment Idea.

Tangylink
Honored Guest
I was watching a movie today on my 3D TV and a specific scene inspired me to think about the Oculus Rift... what if we could bring that 360 view that the Oculus Rift offers in video games now, but not in games but one live feed of a movie. The scene that caught my attention was from "The Great and Powerful Oz" from a waterfall scene and I thought what if you had a Blu-ray device that had Oculus Rift support I think it would revolutionize the way we watch movies being able to look around 360 degrees while watching a movie from the cameras point of view.

Although the more I thought about this, I got to thinking about the costs of movies just with one camera showing you what the director wants to show you, but to go back after the movie has been made with the special effect department and would need to create a fully 3D world in which you could look around. This would raise the costs of movies considerably I imagine.

I was just curious if this would even be possible to create a fully imursive movie with a full 360 view with a Blu-ray compatible support? If so how hard do you think it would be to make a movie that imursive?
2 REPLIES 2

geekmaster
Protege
"Tangylink" wrote:
I was watching a movie today on my 3D TV and a specific scene inspired me to think about the Oculus Rift... what if we could bring that 360 view that the Oculus Rift offers in video games now, but not in games but one live feed of a movie. ... I was just curious if this would even be possible to create a fully immersive movie with a full 360 view with a Blu-ray compatible support? If so how hard do you think it would be to make a movie that immersive?

This has been done. There are multiple 360-degree videos and multiple panoramic video players available. There is a lot of ongoing active discussion about this topic (and related topics) in many different threads here and at MTBS3D. I may provide links later if you cannot find them.

EDIT: Here is one such project, to get you started:
VR Player

EDIT2: Here is a much simpler (just download and run) 360-degree video demo (which I love) that has an excellent built-in sample video of a family carving a Halloween pumpkin, while you stand there and watch them "do their thing", all around you:
360 video demo

Storm.1
Honored Guest

Was thinking it would be a great idea to have some sort of juke box to play music to each specific player. could even charge or give points for good behavior and play with points