cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible DIY screen upgrade for DK2 coming?

vast1983
Honored Guest
Just pontificating here.... but since the DK2 screen is technically just a Samsung note 3 screen, wouldn't it stand to reason that once the note 4 is released, it could be possible to swap out the screens with a replacement note 4 panel?

This of course is operating under the assumption that the panel size remains the same. (That IS rumored to be the case.)
So barring the display connector changing location or the proprietary connector changing design.... it seems within the realm of possibility, does it not?

Since the panel is rumored to have a resolution of 2560 x 1440, that would be quite a nice bump.
The HDMI circuitry in the DK2 is said to be capable of 4k at 60p according to the manufacturer.
18 REPLIES 18

felvhage
Honored Guest
Well, Galaxy Note 4 has been released and it does in fact have the same display-size (5,7 inch with QHD resoulution). I'm not much of an engineer, but i sure would like to see someone to try it out and perhaps produce a DIY guide. I would support a Kickstarter to gather the some hundred bucks for the galaxy note 4 display.

solidshadow
Explorer
Does some one know if its that simple if the connector fits the screen will work, or does a hardware screen driver needs to be changed. The click and connect seems simple, but is it?

A screen connector extension cable can maybe come in handy to make it fit in place. Or the only thing to get close to short is some fpga to upgrade resolution keeping the 1920 base as input? Bring it on 😉

Zmann966
Explorer
Usually hate to revive older, dead threads...

But we know the Note 3 screen is in the DK2, and the Note 4 is now confirmed 2560x1440 and now has replacement parts/screens available. (Hell you can find them on eBay for less than $200)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-OEM-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-N910-N910A-N910T-LCD-Screen-Touch-Digitizer-Gla...

Anyone got some extra cash and a bit of DIY know-how to try a swap? I'd do it myself but $200 right now is stretching with the holidays coming up...

I wish there was more hardware and information out there on the board/controller for the Note3, Note4 and the Rift...

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
1080p fullHD screen resolution may be the limit of the 4 lane mipi interface.
Next resolution up may require 2x this, so new hardware required.

Zmann966
Explorer
Do we know which display interface controller the DK2 is using?

Has anyone really opened one of these things up and started thinking about hardware development?

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
Here are images of the samsung galaxy s5 (1080p) and the samsung galaxy note 4 (higher resolution).
Note the doubling of the 5 main mipi Ghz signal lines, (4 mipi lanes + ?). There is an extra connector to the
left for the new stylus sensor film connector.
The touch screen chip is to the right. Note there are no main signal processing chips on the flexiboard,
they exist in a long thin silver strip conductively-clued to the screen substrate.

S5 screen
http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-samsung-galaxy-s4-sgh-i337-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly-refurbi...

Note 4 screen
http://www.etradesupply.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-sm-n910-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly.html

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
"Zmann966" wrote:
Do we know which display interface controller the DK2 is using?

Has anyone really opened one of these things up and started thinking about hardware development?

The mipi interface is finally being opened up. Check out the mipi shield project for the raspberry pi.
http://hackaday.com/2014/08/19/a-mipi-dsi-display-shieldhdmi-adapter/

Ninja1377
Honored Guest
Without proper knowledge in electronics and dealing with microprocessors, it wouldn't be possible by a regular person. first, lets start with the back of the screens, shall we?

as you can see, the note 3 and the note 4 have their screen connections in 2 totally different areas of the back, therefore, you couldn't even connect the screen into the board.

Then onto the actual screens. The Note 3 screen, which is being used by the rift, is actually a 60hz screen. It is specifically overclocked for the rift to 75hz. The Note 4 is stocked to 60hz, so unless you were to call up samsung and try to get them to overclock a 75hz screen for you, it wouldn't be the right refresh rate.

As much as I would have loved to have been able to upgrade the screen, as the note 4 screen has ~515 ppi pixel density and the note 3 screen has a ~386 ppi pixel density, that's roughly 129 more pixels! but sadly, once again, it's a no go.

Zmann966
Explorer
I imagine the restrictions are going to be with the mipi built into the DK2's board,
Even with the changes coming around with it, it'd probably be faster to wait for CV (which you KNOW they're going to use something Note4 or higher,) than manage to get the DK2 mipi swapped or recoded.

The moving of ribbon cables and extra lane is not a big deal when it comes to modding something like this, and overclocking monitors is possible fairly simply...
I'd be real hesitant to start messing with the mipi... Might be worth it for someone with more time and money and boredom than I though. 😉

I think I'm gonna take one of the B-lenses to my BestBuy and check the SDE on a Note 4 though... Just to fantasize :lol: