cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status on 0.6.0.0 Runtime for OS X and related files?

evolvingtech
Level 2
I notice that Runtime, SDK and Unity Integration files have all been refreshed for ver. 0.6 (from 0.5.0.1). Thanks. The Oculus documentation references equivalent files for OS X, but no such files exist on the download page https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/. Any expectation on when this will be available on OS X?
17 REPLIES 17

creepytennis
Level 2
The thing that gets me is that we didn't even get the courtesy of an email telling us Linux and OSX support had been dropped. I only found out today because a friend told me! I just stopped getting emails notifying me of the new SDK versions. I assumed Oculus had moved on from the DK2. Now I find out they're still developing for it, but not in a way I can use.

I simply cannot believe they failed to update their product pages. That's beyond unprofessional.

I'm returning my DK2. It was mis-sold. It's such a shame what's become of the Rift.

dttngan91
Level 2
Does you guys know where to download the lastest SDk which support MacOSX?

cybereality
Level 15
You can still use the older software packages, you can find the downloads on this page.

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/

Click "Platform: PC" and then select and older version from the drop-down.

creepytennis
Level 2
Hmm. Judging by the response I've just received about my refund, Oculus seem to be under the impression you can mis-sell something as long as they sound reasonably conciliatory about it afterwards.

I guess the warning signs have been there for a while, but at this stage I just want my money back and to get out of dealing with Oculus.

creepytennis
Level 2
Oculus are still refusing to refund my DK2, and are now making inaccurate claims about when Linux support was available.

To me there are two clear reasons the device was mis-sold:

- The Linux drivers, for the eight months they existed, were described as "experimental". There has never been complete Linux support. Rather, there has been "experimental" support. Since Oculus' advertising still stated Linux support, there was a reasonable assumption the support would eventually materialize. Instead, it has been dropped entirely.

- The DK2 was explicitly sold as a means to develop for the consumer Rift, and this core function is now no longer available to Linux and OSX users.

I'll take this as far as I have to and let you know when I'm successful. Anyone who's bought a DK2 for OSX or Linux development should clearly have the option to return it.

enzedda
Level 3
"creepytennis" wrote:
Oculus are still refusing to refund my DK2, and are now making inaccurate claims about when Linux support was available.

To me there are two clear reasons the device was mis-sold:

- The Linux drivers, for the eight months they existed, were described as "experimental". There has never been complete Linux support. Rather, there has been "experimental" support. Since Oculus' advertising still stated Linux support, there was a reasonable assumption the support would eventually materialize. Instead, it has been dropped entirely.

- The DK2 was explicitly sold as a means to develop for the consumer Rift, and this core function is now no longer available to Linux and OSX users.

I'll take this as far as I have to and let you know when I'm successful. Anyone who's bought a DK2 for OSX or Linux development should clearly have the option to return it.

Interesting.
Hopefully this might be resolved by Oculus without going all legal.
Whether or not you have a case for refund is interesting indeed.
Certainly worth watching this thread anyway. (No Laptops involved!)

But I think that all "support" for Oculus was/is experimental if not chaotic.
Nvidea drivers that won't work. Runtimes. sdk's that are buggy beyond belief. Updates or so called updates that only add to confusions.Windows10 and the awful mess. Linux/ Mac..The list goes on and on.

But honestly we really did know that this was a developers kit and that things like this must happen.
If operating systems cannot handle the recent upgrades then I guess they will suffer.
I do agree though that this should have been more clearly announced as soon as it was evident.
But Oculus have a terrible history when it comes to updating Readme's and technical texts.
If they weren't so busy or is it lazy then you wouldn't have your current dispute.
Good on you for your persistence and best of luck!

creepytennis
Level 2
"enzedda" wrote:

Interesting.
Hopefully this might be resolved by Oculus without going all legal.
Whether or not you have a case for refund is interesting indeed.
Certainly worth watching this thread anyway. (No Laptops involved!)

But I think that all "support" for Oculus was/is experimental if not chaotic.
Nvidea drivers that won't work. Runtimes. sdk's that are buggy beyond belief. Updates or so called updates that only add to confusions.Windows10 and the awful mess. Linux/ Mac..The list goes on and on.

But honestly we really did know that this was a developers kit and that things like this must happen.
If operating systems cannot handle the recent upgrades then I guess they will suffer.
I do agree though that this should have been more clearly announced as soon as it was evident.
But Oculus have a terrible history when it comes to updating Readme's and technical texts.
If they weren't so busy or is it lazy then you wouldn't have your current dispute.
Good on you for your persistence and best of luck!

Thanks!

I don't mind Oculus' chaotic support. I'm a nice guy generally! I'm patient and I understand they have resource issues there.

I only have a problem with the fact that OSX and Linux support has now been dropped. That is not acceptable given that it was sold as a multiplatform device. I was prepared to wait for better support, but I cannot accept it being withdrawn entirely.

After a few polite responses Oculus have now suddenly stopped responding to my correspondence. I will investigate legal avenues but I'm realistic about that - it will be a struggle.

I'm very disappointed in how what was once an exciting technology has turned out.

enzedda
Level 3
Yes unfortunately legal avenues can be expensive. A fact no doubt that Oculus are crossing their fingers about.
Nasty business for sure.Nasty taste in the virtual mouth.
Maybe you might think of selling it?
Oops. illegal !!!
But would Oculus bother sending you to jail?
I bet they'd turn the other way as you'd have a good case against them.

However the chance of anyone buying what is now virtually an obsolete piece of hardware is pretty slight.
But don't sell it to another Linux/ Mac person 🙂
And don't mention the "updates"
And hope they don't read any of these Forum pages 🙂
They might think again if they do.