cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make integrated apps for Oculus Rooms? Do I use Coordinated App Launch (CAL)?

LivioDLC
Honored Guest
Hey sorry if this is duplicate. I just posted this thread and then when I reloaded, it was deleted???? My profile says I have zero posts??? Do these forums just not work?
[EDIT] After a few minutes, my first post reappeared. I don't have permissions to delete posts, unfortunately.

Anyway, I've seen people make games that render inside of the Oculus Rooms API (for example, see this video). I can't find much help in the docs, blog posts, or forums about how to do this, so here are all my questions about this:

1. What API do we use to connect our app to Oculus Rooms? I'm talking about what the end user sees as Oculus Rooms, not necessarily the backend networking system (though of course, we'd like to connect to that too, and the docs for that aspect of the connection seem helpful). I think the correct API to use is Coordinated App Launch (CAL), is this correct?
  2. Once our app is being rendered in Oculus Rooms, what are the constraints that we have? What ways can users launch our app? In what parts of the room are we allowed to render stuff? How big can we go with rendering, like how much of the room's geometry can we alter, can we show/hide stuff in the room sometimes?
  3. What widgets are available for us to hook into in Rooms? Like if the user interacts with the TV or a specific table, can we get access to that? And what platform-level interactive elements are provided to us? For example, if we wanted to make a 360 photo bubble, are we stuck having to make our own, or can we just plug into a bubble widget provided by Oculus?
Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

LivioDLC
Honored Guest
Thanks.

Heaney-555
Heroic Explorer
Yes, the CAL is used for this. The launcher in Rooms is called the CAL Launcher/Table.