cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build problems. What Unity and Oculus Integration Versions/ combination should i best use?

Geist2501
Explorer
I got my Quest yesterday and spent today reading and going through tutorials.

I'm no Unity2019.1.8f1 and Oculus Integration 1.38.
I use Unity since 2007, but i worked last on the N3DS and Unity5 so i just grabbed the newest non beta version.

I'm asking because: 1) The builds take ages with all that shader variant compilations (Graphics settings says i got 74 variants, compiles a few thousand).
2) I created multiple new project, following different tutorials, nothing really working ...

Eventually my build got pushed and it starts, but it's 2d (like on a big screen/ the oculus TV thing) and it doesn't react to inputs or anything.
I think i read that this is how non VR APKs are supposed to run...I remember that the log said the OVR stuff failed to initialize and i suspect it's because of that.
(I gotta build and run again to see those messages again and that takes some time, sry)

I plan to install Unity 2017.4 and see if that works better for me, but if someone has some advice that would be swell.
What do you guys use?

Thanks for reading anyways!

5 REPLIES 5

vr_voxel
Explorer
I went in kinda blind to this without reading too much documentation or recommendations first but I'm having luck so far using Unity Build 2019.3.0a7 and Oculus Integration 1.38 (MacOS)! Judging by what I have read so far perhaps I should be having more issues! I have only been building the integration example scenes with some small tweaks so far mind you. Your mileage may vary.

Build times (certainly initial builds) take forever. So does importing the Oculus Integration into unity for some reason - anyone know why this is? (it really does take me around 15 mins to import a few hundred Mbs of data!!!) Gotta make sure you set the build target to Android in Unity as a first step before importing anything otherwise it'll reimport stuff again, sigh (ask me how I know!) Hahaha. I also read here https://developer.oculus.com/blog/oculus-sdk-tool-updates-june-2019/ ; that you should build using the Oculus Menu Option in the main menu bar in Unity, so that only the changes between builds get pushed. This option doesn't appear in my version of Unity (not sure if Alpha thing or MacOS thing..) I would like to know how to access this option in the very near future (before I lose my patience).

I am expecting to hit some more problems soon being that I am using an Alpha build, but so far so good barring a few CharacterCollider issues which aren't show stoppers really.

Geist2501
Explorer
Thanks for sharing what works for you! I avoided alphas & betas, following recommendation to do so - i also went with the lightweight pipeline initially (cause it said it would be good for VR, you know). Maybe the lightweight pipeline is the problem for me with U2019. The build process took about 4 hours for pretty much only the Oculus Integration Package and a single custom scene i built. Maybe my notebook is just getting old, but i have done some pretty rad shader magic for the Shield and Switch; builds take usually about 2-5 minutes for comparable or more complex scenes...

Right now i am building some test and prototype stuff of that i am planing to archive in U2017.4. That works fine. Once i have a comprehensive minimalist demo i start porting that one up the versions. So i always have the next lower one working as backup.

Yeah, setting the build target fisrt thing is what i do anyways. But i can see that being annoying 😄
I haven't noticed any difference in using either or of the Build and Run buttons... but that might be because i am making great changes in between builds atm... i thought unity updates/rebuilds only changed elements since at least U3.7... i'll try again and observe i guess.

R1PFake
Protege
There is a "official" list:
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/latest/concepts/unity-req/

Recommended Unity Versions

We recommend using one of the following Unity versions for all Oculus development.

• 2017.4 LTS
  • 2018.4 LTS
  • 2019.1.2f1
Im currently using the newes version of 2019 (alpha), but I don't work on a serious project, just doing some prototypes and didn't notice any problems so far.
Im using TextMeshPro and sometimes there is a build error about some [SerializedField] variable (which  is aTextMeshPro type) order difference between Editor and Build, but then I click build again and it works, I don't know why that happens, but I ignored it for now, because I just have to click build again.

Geist2501
Explorer
@R1PFake Oh man, i'm certain i read that. But i must have been to tired. Thanks pointing that out again! I'll try out that version U2019 later and see if that builds my demo to actually run as a VR app.

Have you by any chance tested the Lightweight Rendering Pipeline at all?

nextarbg
Honored Guest