cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build your First VR App questions

NolanB
Honored Guest
Hello,

I have a little experience with Blender and was very excited at the chance to get started using Unity on the Amateur level to design some small VR experiences but I'm having trouble with the basic tutorial. I am using Unity 2018.4.2fl as that was suggested in your tutorial here ( https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/latest/concepts/unity-tutorial/#requirements).

I have 3 questions -

1. In step 10 it says to set the camera position to 0, 5, 0 and the Rotation to 20, 0, 0 so you can see the play area better. Do they mean to say set the rotation to 90, 0, 0?

2. In the version of Unity that I have selected I can't find the edit button, but when I double click on my C# language program titled PlayerController it opens up Visual Studio. Am I doing that right?

3. After opening Visual Studio I selected the text that was in that folder, deleted it and replaced it with the code used in step 2 of Part 2 (Add a control script to your Player). For some reason, the ball isn't moving. What am I missing here?

Thank you in advance, I feel like I must be doing something obvious incorrectly. If there's anything else I'm supposed to do to help solve my problem or to help you out please let me know.

4 REPLIES 4

RecoveryVR
Protege
1. It doesn't really matter, just find a rotation that looks best to you.
2. Yes.
3. There could be lots of things wrong, did you name the script the same thing that they did? If you didn't there would be compiler errors. Have you attached the script to the relevant object?

If none of these work then you probably just missed a very small step somewhere in the tutorial, just go back through it carefully.

gizmhail
Honored Guest
EDIT : Oops, sorry, I replied in the wrong topic :s (too many tab opened ...)

gizmhail
Honored Guest

EDIT : my long post that was made on the wrong topic has been validated by the moderation team here, but not the one on the right topic ^^ . As I've not yet found how to delete my posts, I edit them empty, sorry for the disturbance :'(

Ebonicus
Explorer

1. No, 20 is 20 degrees downward, if you do 90 it will face straight down.

2. yes, dbl click any script in project window to edit. You can also dbl click scripts in the inspector to open VSS and edit scripts. Unity will also open any assets in project if you have an associated external editor configured in project unity preferences.

3. You cannot just paste and overwrite a script. In unity a script names MyScript MUST have the same class in the code. So if you pasted

public class someOtherClassName: MonoBehaviour

into a file calledMyScript.cs it will compile but it will not run.