Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing apps and games for Quest using Unity3D

teejay456
Honored Guest

Hi,

Now that Oculus has officially discontinued Oculus Quest,

1. I need to know whether I can still develop apps and games for Oculus Quest using Oculus Unity3D SDK.
  2. I need to know if there is a deadline for the apps that can be uploaded to the Oculus Store which was made for Quest only
  3. In the Oculus documentation, it was mentioned like this "From the hardware standpoint, all apps that target Oculus Quest are automatically compatible to run ...". So does that mean if I develop apps for Quest, will it be supported for Quest 2 automatically, or do I need to do any additional changes in my app for it to support Oculus Quest 2 also.
  4. Since now, Oculus Go support has been deprecated by the Oculus Unity SDK, will there be any kind of similar issues, if I develop apps and games for Oculus Quest too in the near future?

Can someone please answer these questions. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vasanthsai.sama
Honored Guest

Hi,
You can develop apps using oculus integration SDK in unity3d.
Right now any quest game you upload to the App Lab should support both Quest and Quest 2.
That means even if someone is developing for quest2 Oculus is forcing them to make it work for Quest 1 as well.

So if your game is working in Quest 1 it should work fine in Quest 2 as well. But you want to rebuild the app with few updated settings. Having said that you can improve the scenes in the game and take advantage of Quest 2 additional ram and cpu power. 

Oculus SDK is the same for both Quest 1 and 2 so I don't think it will be deprecated.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

vasanthsai.sama
Honored Guest

Hi,
You can develop apps using oculus integration SDK in unity3d.
Right now any quest game you upload to the App Lab should support both Quest and Quest 2.
That means even if someone is developing for quest2 Oculus is forcing them to make it work for Quest 1 as well.

So if your game is working in Quest 1 it should work fine in Quest 2 as well. But you want to rebuild the app with few updated settings. Having said that you can improve the scenes in the game and take advantage of Quest 2 additional ram and cpu power. 

Oculus SDK is the same for both Quest 1 and 2 so I don't think it will be deprecated.