cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for recommendations for machine for Quest dev

stillwind
Honored Guest
Hi, I'm just getting going with Unity and Quest, it seems pretty clear I need to get a better PC.

Normally, I'm a Linux user, but I think the link cable setup doesn't work at all on Linux, and so (afaik) the only way to iterate while building is to do a full apk build, (unless just making script only changes). For the escape room tutorial that took around 5 mins, so it's not going to work.

Trying Unity on a slightly old Windows PC, the editor itself seems great, but importing assets etc takes forever. So, I need advice on a "reasonable" setup for developing, my budget is middle of the road, a full on gaming PC will be a bit too high. My minimum requirement would be iterating on development no more than a couple of minutes each time (final build can be longer).

I assume, a good CPU would be say I7 or Ryzen equivalent, would a lower end CPU work OK?
I'm thinking 16GB memory, would that be enough?
And probably at least a fast SSD for the project work, another HDD for other stuff (or is that a mistake, better 2 SDDs + HDD?).
GPU is a big question mark, there are some recommended for the link beta. I'm not trying to build a gaming PC really, what's a good compromise to have link working?

btw. if anyone knows if there are plans to have link work on Linux that will be a game changer...?

Thanks for any advice!
1 REPLY 1

stillwind
Honored Guest
In case anyone reads this and wonders... I did order a new laptop today, I expect the spec to manage for all the requirements (9th gen I7, geforce 1660 TI, 16MB dram, 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD). If it turns out there's any issues I'll post back on this thread