cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Grabbed Objects jitter (Unity)

mmchickenshack
Protege
Using Unity 2018.4.5 and Oculus 1.38

When I hold an object (simple scene with just a cube) in my hand, then the movement of this grabbed cube is very jittery and not smooth at all.

Using OVRPlayerController with LocalAvatar in TrackingSpace and AvatarGrabberLeft and Right inside this LocalAvatar.
I set the Fixed TimeStep in the Project Settings to 1/72 (0.01388889).

I uploaded a video of this behaviour: https://youtu.be/AoJ_d0d2Dq8

It's not as obvious in the video as it is in VR, but I think you do see the issue at the edges of the cube with the stuttery movement.
Interestingly, when I throw away the cube, the movement is smooth. Also the movement of my hands is smooth, it's only the object I'm grabbing that stutters.

Any idea how I can prevent this?
Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

mmchickenshack
Protege
Update: I have the same problem with the demos that oculus provides. seems to be a unity/sdk issue. as you know, version 1.39 is broken in other ways, so i couldn‘t test if this resolves the issue...
very unsatisfying situation.

lamhoang
Honored Guest
Add some of your own code, which makes the object your grabbing the child of the grabbing hand. This will remove the jittering.

mmchickenshack
Protege
thank you, that absolutely worked. I found an even easier workaround:

The solution was to child the hands (in my case Oculus' "CustomHandLeft/Right") to Left- and Righthand-Anchors respectively. Smooth as butter now, even in Unity 2019: https://imgur.com/a/PnTXbOq

Thanks for your time and help!

TraverseMorcant
Explorer
@mmchickenshack I am experiencing the same issue when using LocalAvatar and AvatarGrabberLeft/Right. Adding them as children to the anchors makes the grab not work. Can you provide more info on how you fixed it?

mmchickenshack
Protege
@WolfVolk I think I had the same issue a while ago. Try using the CustomHands, they seem to work better for me.

mmchickenshack
Protege
@WolfVolk also, uncheck "Parent Held Object" (that broke grabbing for me as far as i can remember) and make sure the parent transform is set correctly.

vrz_dev
Protege
@mmchickenshack - having the same problem with AvatarGrabberLeftRight as @WolfVolk. "Parent Held Object" is unchecked and the grab is not working. What should I set as Parent Transform?

vrz_dev
Protege
Ok i set the parent transform to TrackingSpace and the grab is back to work, but the hands movement are still jittery.
ef30d562pohd.pngcls24kdco35l.png

vrz_dev
Protege
I found out that if you check "Parent Held Transform" on both AvatarGrabberLeft/Right, the object stops jittering while grabbed. Unfortunately this also produced a strange misalignment of the hands while moving them around.