cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest display colours seem off

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are experiencing some issues with the development of our museum for the Oculus Quest. For a true, lifelike representation of paintings, it's vital the colours of the canvasses in-game match the real works. We are satisfied with the way the colours are represented on the Oculus Go, and on the rift, but on the Quest, the colours seem a lot more saturated. Could the displays be that different or does Oculus use some kind of post-processing colour correction? When we made a video capture for demoing purposes on the Quest, the colours seemed more natural than experienced in-headset. This suggests that the display of the Quest has different colour properties. We have been thinking about doing device specific post-processing colour correction but future changes in the Oculus hard/software could cause us to have to redo these every time. We would love a more future-proof solution. Has anyone else had this experience?

8 REPLIES 8

MikeSwanson
Protege
We've seen the same issues. An easy test is to create a greyscale gradient and display it on each device. On Rift, everything appears without a color cast. However, on Go and Quest, there is a visible color cast to the gradient. I'd describe it as "pink-ish".

Also, like your experience, when we do a screen capture or recording, the capture doesn't exhibit the cast, leading us to believe that the colors are being modified on the way to the screen or as a characteristic of the display itself.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same issue here, how did you guys end up dealing with it?

MikeSwanson
Protege
We weren't able to solve this issue.

TippingPoint
Honored Guest
Has anyone been able to solve this issue? I've been working on medical applications that depend heavily on mostly-red biological materials, which are now heavily blown out on the quest.

MUVirsabi
Explorer

Has anyone been able to solve this issue? I've been working on medical applications that depend heavily on mostly-red biological materials, which are now heavily blown out on the quest.

Same exact problem here. Did you find a solution? The color in question (#B51632) becomes almost brown - more weird is the fact that it only happens in one of the scenes...

bdeschryver
Explorer
Hey guys ? Did you manage to get this solved ?
I had the same issue and now checked the "custom color space" option in OVR_Manager. I set it to Quest, and now my colors seem fine !
Can you test/confirm ?

Thanks

Thank you @bdeschryver, had the same issue and I can confirm changing the color gammut on the OVRManager fixes it.

pro_zac
Heroic Explorer

For a deep dive into color spaces on Oculus devices, I highly recommend this document:

https://developer.oculus.com/resources/color-management-guide/