cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passthough not working with Unity Editor, build/run works fine

artieTwelve2
Explorer

I start this with the full knowledge that the loose nut behind the wheel could be me. I had passthrough working, both my stuff and the Oculus demos. I could build and run or test stuff inside the Unity editor by hitting "Play". It was all working right up until I botched an install of 2021 and things stopped. I have since reinstalled (multiple times...) everything.

The project I'm testing with is a floating cube in front of the OVRCameraRig. I've gone through all the settings/recommendations from previous community posts, specifically the guide from @Anonymous and the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u3QQi6Gnx0&ab_channel=ValemTutorials

• Running "adb devices" at the command line shows the device is authorized.
  • Oculus Integration 34.0
  • Oculus Quest version 35.0.0.117.341.<other numbers>
  • Oculus Quest runtime version 35.0.0.118.341.<other numbers> 

I can build and run apps with passthrough, I just can't get them to appear in the headset via the Unity Editor when I hit Play. Sometime I get the hourglass, sometimes I get an outline of the cube, flickering badly. 

The error on the console:

Failed to initialize Insight Passthrough. Passthrough will be unavailable. Error Failure_NotInitialized.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
OVRManager:InitializeInsightPassthrough () (at Assets/Oculus/VR/Scripts/OVRManager.cs:2283)
OVRManager:InitOVRManager () (at Assets/Oculus/VR/Scripts/OVRManager.cs:1550)
OVRManager:Awake () (at Assets/Oculus/VR/Scripts/OVRManager.cs:1565)

Which can be tracked back to the OVRP_1_63_0 DLL call in OVRPlugin.cs

if (version >= OVRP_1_63_0.version)
{
      Result result = OVRP_1_63_0.ovrp_InitializeInsightPassthrough();
      if (result != Result.Success)
        {...   

I'm on Window 10 and I've tested with Unity versions:

1. 2021.2.5f1
  2. 2020.3.22f1
  3. 2020.2.24f1

Same Error... 

I doubt it's a hardware problem. Quest plays half life Alyx like a champ over Air Link. Lastly, I've got a box full of good quality USBC cables and I've tried them all. 

Any thoughts? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gustorvo
Protege

Passthrough simply doesn't work that way you expect it to work! It is designed to work in builds only! This has been made for privacy reasons (so that no one would maliciously record your surroundings). Passthrough data never gets rendered inside Unity, it never reaches the eye buffer, so there is no way of accessing it through your Unity project. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Gustorvo
Protege

Passthrough simply doesn't work that way you expect it to work! It is designed to work in builds only! This has been made for privacy reasons (so that no one would maliciously record your surroundings). Passthrough data never gets rendered inside Unity, it never reaches the eye buffer, so there is no way of accessing it through your Unity project. 

Like I said, loose nut behind the wheel. After I made the posted, I started to think this might be the case, but I could not find a way to retract the post. Anyway, that explains it. I guess I was flipping between builds, scenes and demos so much that later, I was sure I had seen in play mode.  Thanks for clearing it up for me. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all it's a great question -- regardless of there being a loose nut behind the wheel or not... 🙂 

Confirming what @Gustorvo said - I've never been able to get Passthrough to work from the Play button in Unity -- you always get an error and have to "unpause" to get the scene to play with a black background instead of the passthrough video.

Just making sure that you do know the trick to see the passthrough on your PC... you have to deploy it to the device and then use Side Quest to view the running app -- that works like a charm!

@MetaQuestSupport --- would be ideal to have -at least- a developer setting that allow us to see Passthrough via Unity -- as the features become more complex (ie. object detection, etc) we WILL NEED the ability to do this via Unity and not take the time to deploy ever single update with building apps.  Would love to know that that is at least on the Quest dev team's radar.  Thanks!!

Gustorvo
Protege

Agree! @OculusSupport should definitely give us, developers, tools that simplifiy development process, not the other way around!

Is this still correct?

I've attempted the Passthrough over link approach documented here, but continue to get the same error OP mentioned.

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/unity-passthrough-over-link/

Same problem...

You passthrough and link to work? I am following the same steps and getting no progress.

Did you get passthrough and link to work? I am following the same steps and getting no progress.