cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Project Settings in Unreal

Anonymous
Not applicable
If found bits and pieces of Project Settings and recommendations what you have to do in order to develop specifically for the Quest.
However. I am not able to resolve FPS issues. Even if I am testing just primitive objects like 1 x plane and 1 x sphere.

Is a general guide available that specifically shows step by step all the project settings for Unreal and deploying an app to the Quest?
I love the Quest - I just need to find an easier way to kick-start this baby.

Project Settings in Unreal:
From the SDK Kit
RHI
Reflections
Forward Shading
AA Settings (MSAA)
etc. etc. etc.

Thank you so much for any little help, I really do appreciate that.
Happy Developing,
Bernhard 
14 REPLIES 14

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
start with this:
and in the rendering section, enable mobile multiview + multiview direct.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you appreciate it. I was already following the documentation. But as I found out. Just using this document using the same project settings didn't work for me. I got jittering, couldn't even hit some steady FPS when using just three primitive objects.

There is more to it. Like AA, Forward Shading, etc.

One major point ... I can't wrap my head around this:
  • How do you actually do the look development when using Unreal with Shader Model 5?
  • I need to be able to convert or compile my setup to ES 3.1

But how can you make sure it will look similar?
Just by switching inside of the Unreal Editor from Shader Model 5 to ES3.1 - it makes a huge difference in the look.

Light values seem to be also different.

I am wondering how you guys handle that.

Thanks for any hints, thoughts and ideas!
appreciate it and keep rocking - cheers

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
The best approximation I've found so far is to set the editorview to ES3.1 mode. Some stuff will still look different on Quest so test on the Quest all the time and keep the difference in mind when viewing back on the screen in UE.

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes, I noticed that. But how the heck can you actually do the look development ... so it looks kinda the same for both Shader models? It also looks like you have to re-do the lighting because of all the different lighting values.

Or one way.. I am thinking to do it.. doing the look dev using E3.31 and after that, I make the proper adjustments in the post process volume for Shader Model 5?

I am also curious about materials?
I mean.. I haven't seen any tutorials how you use shaders and materials when using E3.31?

I am assuming you just use the standard Unreal Materials to create shaders... and when deploying to E3.31 all the materials will be compiled for OpenGL Sahders, right?

I just wish there would be a library of shader's ... something like Substance Source has.. you can use specifically for E3.31. For example, Emissive Light does not work when using E3.31...  soo.. what's the workaorund?

Do you know any place, any forum, website, resources that has more information specifically for that?

I am just super pumped about the Quest. I love the Quest and I know that's the future.
Super nice to have no cables and to have your own console system. When CPU's and GPU's will get stronger.. this is the way to go.

Love it.. really love what Oculus did with the Quest. It's amazing.
Just wish I would find more practical tutorials for developers... to make it easier for me to create content for the Quest.

Thank you so much for any further little help, hints, tips and tricks.
Very much appreciated, keep rocking!
cheers 

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer

remoz said:

...how the heck can you actually do the look development ... so it looks kinda the same for both Shader models?
... I haven't seen any tutorials how you use shaders and materials when using E3.31?
...I just wish there would be a library of shader's ... something like Substance Source has.. For example, Emissive Light does not work when using E3.31...  soo.. what's the workaorund?

Ask yourself; do you really need both shader models? If you're main focus is developing for Quest, I would focus on that and skip SM5. You will already have many limitations to take care of (triangle count, nodecount, material complexity, lights etc) so why think about SM5 anyway? Seen this video? - it has some nice basics about developing for Quest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvMQUz0g_Tk

Materials should be simple. No special E3 libraries that I know of. Unreal will take care of making the shaders when building.

For anything fancy, the trick is to bake it or fake it. You can have emissive lights in your project as long as its static so you can bake it. If you need a flashlight or something like that, use an emissive material and a semi-transparent cone to fake the effect etc.

Its hard in the beginning. You won't find up to date tutorials. The tech is still new and developing every day. Just have to dive in - trying, failing, looking for solutions on forums and youtube, trying again etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much for your response, and also the video. The basics are clear. Also the theory.

What I am confused right now is the fact, that when using Unreal and switching to the ES3.1 Shader Model - only one light-type seems to be supported. And that is a Direct Light.

Questions #1:
Are Spherical Lights, Rectangular Lights and Spot Lights not supported?
Also no support for the Sun & Sky System that was integrated with Unreal 4.24?

Question #2:
Light values seem to be different and of course, the Shaders also look totoally different.
I am not able to find a documentation about the materials. Meaning, what's supported and working, what is not?

For example, PBR Shaders... are they supported or not?
Difuse
Reflection
Roughness
Metallic
Emissive
etc.

For me, the most imnportant part is the look development. I am able to deploy simple geometry. But when working with the shading and lighting using the ES3.1 Models instead of Shader Model 5 (by default when using Unreal) - I just can't get the look what I want, because I can't control the materials like I can when using Shader Model 5.

In terms of baking:
I would like to setup my entire level inside of Unreal. Using the Unreal lights, and the Unreal Materials.
But like I said. I can't target a specific look, because I can't see what am I doing when using ES3.1

It appears to me, when using ES3.1 it's not real time.

That's what I am really curious about. I've never seen any tutorial, or anybody else working inside of Unreal using ES3.1. And I can't find any answers to this specific topic.

Thank you so much for your posts, hints and infos. I really do appreciate that.
I hope I could somehow explain where I'm stuck.

happy developing and till later,
cheers 

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
For mobile thus Quest if possible use 'static' lights and bake everything. Sky also always static.

Only when you really need some moving shadows use 1 stationary directional light and cascaded shadow maps. Again sky static.
Also have look at all the other subjects on the left - all starting from 'Mobile Rendering'

I haven't tried the new sun & sky system as I expected is too 'expensive' for Quest's performance.

Anonymous
Not applicable
So here is my problem: 

Simple Setup in Unreal.
  • First screenshot shows the Preview when using ES3.1
  • Second image shows Preview when ES3.1 is turned off and Shader Model 5 is being used (default)

A Rect Light doesn't seem to be supported at all. Even by cranking up the Light Intensity. The scene stays black.

Questions:
  • So are the regular lights for ES3.1 not supported, right?

If I bake inside of 3dsmax/Vray - I still need add a light to the scene. Otherwise the Light-Scene stays black as well.
  • How do you usually approach that?

kbjzk9gf9a62.jpgt2fpmr8co4gx.jpg

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
Just to be sure; after adding the lights to the scene, did you rebuild the lighting? If so, you would see the effect of the rectangular light in both shader models. Just tested it - no problem.

The Quest itself doesn't support rectangular lights but you can have countless static rectangular lights in your project and build the lighting effect into lightmaps. When running the app on the Quest it 'forgets' all the static lights and just uses the lightmaps simulating its effect.
j8n2cvafduvp.jpg