cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest doesn't ask to give USB permissions in dev mode

fakeDeltat
Explorer
I'm using Linux, Manjaro, with the Gnome desktop. When I connect my Oculus Quest to the PC, I get no popup in the headset about giving the system USB debugging permissions, and adb devices -l says:
List of devices attached

1PASH9ADMX9305         no permissions; see [http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html] usb:1-1.4 transport_id:13
If I disable developer mode, then I get a popup to allow access to the file system, and this has no checkbox to remember my choice, and the device isn't visible in adb, and I can't access it as an Android device. I had this work fine on Manjaro XFCE, but now it doesn't function for some reaosn. I have yet to restart my PC after installing adb, so I'll see if it works after a restart in the morning.
16 REPLIES 16

fakeDeltat
Explorer
Killing the server with
adb kill-server
and starting one as sudo with
sudo adb start-server
made the device go from "no permissions" to "unauthorized", and I was able to authorize the system inside the headset.

Akien
Honored Guest
I can confirm the same issue on another Linux distro, Mageia 7. Exact same description as in the OP.
As in https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/comment/711258/#Comment_711258, restarting adb with sudo (i.e. with root permissions) seemed to work around the issue.I was then able to allow USB debugging access to the device inside the headset.
I further tested that killing the (root) adb server to then restart it as unprivileged user shows the device as "unauthorized" again, and lets me authorize it inside the headset. So I guess it might work fine from now on.
Edit: I was advised that this might be due to the need to set up udev rules for the Quest. I haven't seen them mentioned in the https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/quest/latest/concepts/mobile-device-setup-quest/ page, that would be a good addition (especially since figuring out the udev syntax and magic numbers is not trivial).

Meatballmachine
Explorer
the command adb is not even recognized. This is hopeless

CalMor95
Honored Guest
This worked for me ONLY when I plugged in my Quest into my PC AFTER SideQuest was already open. hope that helps!

TommyCakes
Honored Guest

Killing the server with
adb kill-server
and starting one as sudo with
sudo adb start-server
made the device go from "no permissions" to "unauthorized", and I was able to authorize the system inside the headset.

Just a note you may have to install adb by running:
sudo apt install adb

Slugtide
Honored Guest
Where do I go to kill the server?

reeejoshy
Honored Guest
ok.....  I got it going on WIN10......  

I searched for ADB.exe in c: .... found it in a Sidequest folder......   ( recently installed side quest) 
opened that location in powershell from file manager ( shft - rightclick inside folder area. and context menu displays select open powershell window here ..... 

I used the following commands to get it to go .... ( note the .\  before the adb.exe )   

PS C:\Users\josha\AppData\Roaming\SideQuest\scrcpy> .\ADB.EXE kill-server
PS C:\Users\josha\AppData\Roaming\SideQuest\scrcpy> .\ADB.EXE start-server
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
PS C:\Users\josha\AppData\Roaming\SideQuest\scrcpy> .\ADB.EXE devices
List of devices attached
1PASE9AZ3GK141  unauthorized

then put on the quest headset and it had the debuggin message waitng for me ( usb cable was plugged into it from pc) 
clicked the always remember button and hit allow... 

Your welcome internet !!!! :smile:

Jujututu
Honored Guest
joshy you star!!

adam_hlt
Honored Guest
Followed Joshy's instructions and they're the first that worked, thank you so much!