cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we be using the Universal Render Pipeline?

physto
Protege
My current project is still on the legacy renderer.  Should I be using the URP for performance?
8 REPLIES 8

physto
Protege
Sorry. Not sure what the correct name is but I was referring to the best pipeline for Unity which may or may not still be called the Lightweight Render Pipeline. Is anyone using that for Quest?

K9Ch33tah
Honored Guest
I'm currently using URP It but depends if you want to use some urp feature like shader graph. Otherwise 3d is a bit more stable at the moment.

physto
Protege

K9Ch33tah said:

I'm currently using URP It but depends if you want to use some urp feature like shader graph. Otherwise 3d is a bit more stable at the moment.

I can live without shader graph if I need to. Just wondering if the performance of the URP is acceptable on Quest.

rib
Protege
I've been using LWRP, now URP for fair while on Quest and I've been happy with the performance so far (profiling, I'm able to hit 70fps ok with the content I'm building). I currently have a separate render pipeline asset configured for Quest vs PC to tune it a little.

mightycoconut
Protege
I'm using URP (upgraded from OG LWRP) and getting ~400k tris through it at steady 72fps. Had to optimize quite a bit, but pretty impressive. Some of the shaders on the avatars/controllers weren't supported so you might have to upgrade those yourself.

physto
Protege

rib said:

I've been using LWRP, now URP for fair while on Quest and I've been happy with the performance so far (profiling, I'm able to hit 70fps ok with the content I'm building). I currently have a separate render pipeline asset configured for Quest vs PC to tune it a little.

Thanks. I'm going branch and upgrade from legacy to URP and see how it goes.

physto
Protege

I'm using URP (upgraded from OG LWRP) and getting ~400k tris through it at steady 72fps. Had to optimize quite a bit, but pretty impressive. Some of the shaders on the avatars/controllers weren't supported so you might have to upgrade those yourself.

> ~400k tris through it at steady 72fps.
WOW! I'm been budgeting for ~50K and trying to limit the number of materials and textures.

Any chance you can, in general terms, talk about what you're optimized?

physto
Protege

You mean Quest 1 not Quest 2, right?