cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity3D vs Unreal Engine?

benevbright
Honored Guest
Hi, I've installed both of Unity3D and UE4.
And successfully deployed the first test app to my Oculus Quest. (It took a few days)

I know it's not an easy question. But I'm really confused about which one I should continue with.

Could you give me some tips? 
Some good reasons that I should choose one over another one.

One thing I discovered is that, with Unity, you can test Headset without deploying it again but just use it in the live play, whereas UE4 doesn't have such a thing. Is that very useful?
7 REPLIES 7

physto
Protege
If you're a pro game developer and are building a real time game that requires networking, consider UE4. Otherwise, if you're new to development and you're not doing an FPS, try a project in Unity.

Being able to test in the headset without building for it is tremendously helpful because it let's you quickly test changes. That's going to be a huge time saver vs. doing a 5-10 minute build every time you want to test something.

benevbright
Honored Guest
Hi, @"kenneth.lemieux.1"
I was a game developer quite a time ago and now I'm working as a normal software engineer for a while.
Thanks a lot for your answer. I don't need networking on the first version. It will only happen when the first version get huge success 🙂 
I decided to go with Unity3D. Mainly due to the live test and number of tutorials are not comparable. I feel like UE4 is for such closed companies/communities that don't need to share knowledge with each other because they're already experts for it. 

physto
Protege
benevbright - I think that makes sense. I do have to say that I don't know all that much about UE4 since I've only ever poked around the editor. I have been using Unity since about 2012 and have shipped about 9 million units. I've learned the Unity is absolutely awesome but you have to focus on what it does well and work around anything you don't like. Stay away from tech releases and newly released functionality for anything but tech demos.

Honestly, those are going to be the same sort of rules you following in almost any other kind of development as well.

GigaSora
Expert Protege
Its also worth noting that Unity specifically caters to lower  end devices, ie URP. Don't know if Unreal has anything like this. Haven't used it.

Quacklin
Protege
I'm using unity since 2014 but with all the default/ URP/ HDRP which are still unusable in production specially for mobil VR and vulcan is making more trouble than it helps I'm considering switching to unreal. Especially for networking, blueprints and shader nodes. 
But when i see it correctly the oculus plugin for quest in unreal still doesn't have official hand tracking?
Since we're making training apps we switched already most of our apps to hand tracking and i'm i bit surprised, that even after i work since 5 month with hand tracking in unity there is still no integration in unreal?
And overall with all the documentation and resources I have the feeling quest development i more and more unity driven.

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer

El_in .... But when i see it correctly the oculus plugin for quest in unreal still doesn't have official hand tracking?
Since we're making training apps we switched already most of our apps to hand tracking and i'm i bit surprised, that even after i work since 5 month with hand tracking in unity there is still no integration in unreal?...

Its strange indeed. On a Dutch tech blog I read today that tomorrow May 18, the hand tracking will leave experimental status and it will be an official feature for the Quest. Its great the sdk for that has been available for Unity devs for quite a while and I'm curious to see the first apps using it. For us UE devs though, its a bummer there is total silence if/when its coming to UE.

benevbright
Honored Guest
@El_in
I saw somewhere today it will come to UE4 soon.