cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta XR Integration SDK on Unity Package Manager (Experimental)

mouse_bear
Retired Support

Starting with v44, we will start publishing experimental releases of the Utilities package (“Oculus/VR”) via Unity Package Manager. It will be hosted on our custom scoped registry, and will come with a simple installer to help developers onboard.

Moving onwards, we plan to gradually roll out more Unity packages via Unity Package Manager into 2023. We hope to explore if this distribution method works sufficiently well to supersede the asset packages.

If you have any feedback and/or issues in regards to this, please use this place to discuss, as we'll have members of the engineering team reviewing this thread!

20 REPLIES 20

Tigershadow
Explorer

Seems to be a problem with the installer, it throws a null ref causing it to hang on fetching the packages. Looks related to the "read and agree" Toggle box.Screenshot 2022-10-08 123624.jpg

AleVerDes
Explorer

So, I manually added https://npm.developer.oculus.com/ to the scoped registry and tried to install the com.meta.xr.sdk.utilities package, but nothing happens, the installation hangs forever. From https://npm.developer.oculus.com/-/web/detail/com.meta.xr.sdk.utilities I can't download the tarball either. What should I do? I need to make authorization for my application, and except in this package, as I understand it, I will not find a solution to my problem.

Sparkett3
Protege

Why won't it let me create a topic here?

moritzjaeger
Honored Guest

Hi, thanks a lot for providing the SDK now in UPM format!

I noticed earlier that there has been a new v47 out for the Oculus Integration SDK for 4 days now.
And I was wondering when the UPM repo will be updated with the new version?

Thank you!

KuWenHan
Honored Guest
I'm trying to use https://npm.developer.oculus.com/ in Unity, I was able to download content without issue in v49, but after the official update to v50, I am no longer able to retrieve anything. I keep receiving the following error message:

[Package Manager Window] Cannot perform upm operation: unable to verify the first certificate [NotFound]​

I have already executed npm config set strict-ssl false in cmd to resolve a similar "UNABLE_TO_VERIFY_LEAF_SIGNATURE" error, but this method cannot be used in Unity to solve the issue.

Are there any other methods to solve this problem?
Thank you!

Halfspacer
Adventurer

Also seeing 

[Package Manager Window] Cannot perform upm operation: unable to verify the first certificate [NotFound]

ABigBigWhale
Oculus Staff

@Halfspacer @KuWenHan Hi folks - thank you for reporting this issue. We are aware and actively working on it.

In the meantime for a workaround, please try visiting https://npm.developer.oculus.com/ and downloading the package tarballs directly. Then import them via UPM UI as local packages. 

ABigBigWhale
Oculus Staff

@Halfspacer @KuWenHan 

This issue should be resolved now.

Again, thank you for your reports. And please feel free to post questions or discussions here whenever!

julienkay
Adventurer

First off, having the Oculus Utilities distributed through the PackageManager is much appreciated!

Here is some feedback after taking a first look:

• it seems the Interaction SDK ("Interaction" folder in the traditional Oculus Integration) is not yet available as a package? Same for the Platform SDK. Did I miss something, or are those not available yet as a package and is it planned to add these in the future?
  • the samples are not distributed using the officially recommended way but are distributed as a separate package instead. Any specific reason for this?
  • some assets like the ovr-platform-util are still being put under the Assets folder. I understand this is most likely a workaround due to Unity's Package Manager trying to prevent packages from downloading malicious executables, but I still think it would be nice to find a way here that doesn't clutter the assets folder. (Could ovr-platform-util be distributed as part of the Developer Hub instead?)
  • even if still tagged as experimental, the fact that this option to install as a package exists should be noted more prominently in the documentation and possibly even in places like the Asset Store. I think most people don't know the utilities are available as a package, but I'm sure it would be useful to many already. I don't think an installer would be needed, just a small section on how to set up the custom registry.