cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain what the ORBX Media Player is?

jodyrbrennan
Explorer
Are these still images all there is to is or am I missing something? How do I use it and what is it for?
20 REPLIES 20

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"jodyrbrennan" wrote:
Are these still images all there is to is or am I missing something? How do I use it and what is it for?

I don't know much about it as I don't get my GVR until tomorrow, but it is OTOY's app for viewing light field photographs and experiences. Light field technology is simply amazing. It offers some of the most realistic VR to date and is pioneering the way for 360 degree video with positional tracking. In other words, eventually this will give us the holodek we've all been waiting for. I believe ORBX player is in its infancy, but should be getting very compelling material in the next weeks and months. Definitely keep an eye on it. For me, personally, light field technology is what is going to change the world. No hyperbole. Honest truth.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"jodyrbrennan" wrote:

Before ORBX player there were no 3D 360 photos on Gear VR just 2D 360 photos and in this quality and resolution on no other headset either.

ORBX is a media player for photos but also other media like animation/video or interactive VR experiences like Batman the animated series, which should come to Gear VR in the hopeful not to distant future.

http://vrfocus.com/archives/13058/batma ... otoy-tech/

Gherron
Protege
Sorry for the ignorance (count me as an "enthusiast", definitely no developer), but I'm still trying to understand what light field technology is. Is it something like the next step after vectorized and rasterized imaging? Or is it a new way of processing digital images? What is it and how is it different from what has been done previously?

I'm blown away with the quality of imagesI have seen so far. I'm a huge OTOY fanboy! (Hey, that rhymes. :lol: ) I just don't really know what it is.

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"Gherron" wrote:
Sorry for the ignorance (count me as an "enthusiast", definitely no developer), but I'm still trying to understand what light field technology is. Is it something like the next step after vectorized and rasterized imaging? Or is it a new way of processing digital images? What is it and how is it different from what has been done previously?

I'm blown away with the quality of imagesI have seen so far. I'm a huge OTOY fanboy! (Hey, that rhymes. :lol: ) I just don't really know what it is.

Here is a good primer from OTOY themselves:

"What is a Light Field?
Holographic virtual reality has been part of popular culture ever since Gene Roddenberry introduced the Holodeck in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Holographic video, or holographic light field rendering as it’s technically known, produces stunningly realistic images that can be viewed from any vantage point. Because of its computational complexity, commercial holographic video and VFX have not been commercially viable until OTOY’s light field GPU technology made it tractable through OTOY’s OctaneRender software. OctaneRender can predetermine all the necessary lighting information for a given light field and retrieve it in real-time on consumer VR devices powered by mobile GPUs. Given the viewer’s position/orientation, ORBX holographic video can turn a normal display screen into a virtual window, projecting the proper light path from a curved or VR display directly into the viewer’s eyes. Each frame of video accurately simulates every ray of light in a given scene or environment and every interaction that each light ray has with the surfaces and materials therein. Every reflection, refraction, and absorption of that field of light is modelled as it would be in the real world. OTOY’s GPU-based rendering and cloud graphics platform further enables live post-processing, motion graphics and foveated compositing inside VR and light field video content. The experience works both offline and for live streaming holographic videos.

Virtual reality headsets, both those powered by desktops and mobile GPUs, are expected to be the first way that people will experience OTOY’s holographic videos, though content can easily be adapted to other devices. Applications where greater immersion or interactivity are desired (such as gaming, film, attractions, and simulation) are most suitable for the technology."

Anonymous
Not applicable
that can be viewed from any vantage point.

Amazing.
Does this work in that App?

And does this indeed mean, its possible to travel in such a complex scenario smoothly, with limited renderpower like in smartphones? (well... as long as nothing in the scene is changing) *Wonders*

bolinao
Honored Guest
I hope they bring out more content soon,only 15 pics so far .
I read that they were suppose to bring out Batman by the end of April ?

gabster21
Honored Guest
Where do you get the content from? All I see is 1 sample photo (vase) but can't get anything else.

Goldorak
Honored Guest
More is coming. You can visit the forums or check #OctaneRender on twitter too see some of the WIP renders.

ZarkMabala
Honored Guest
There are 14 pieces of ORBX content in this zip: http://m.otoy.com/media/ORBX.zip

Unzip the archive and place the resulting files on your phone under the "ORBX/media" directory.

Thanks to Mallmagician for the tip!