cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer VR & S6 heat issue

dv8ed
Level 3
Is it normal for consumer Samsung Gear VR and Verizon Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Lollipop to over heat around 30 - 45 mins of usage? How are you supposed to finish a movie?
70 REPLIES 70

kjms73
Level 2
I have had the innovator edition for about 6 months now and did have over heating issues but like most here I have been able to stop it from happening now days.

1,Switch to "do not disturb" and or air plane mode
2 Make sure all other apps have closed down that are not needed.
3 Set brightness to 5 (though am interested in the guy saying set to 10 full brightness not tried that)

I can play 3 movies back to back so least 4-5 hours and have no problem but when playing games or the experience apps like titans it then does heat up faster but that is because it using the gpu much more.

The one thing I do use for when playing the games is a face mask that I got from boot chemist its silicon gel I believe. cost about £5.

I place it in freezer for about an hour and then I place it over the phone an then strap over head on top of the Gear VR it looks silly I know but works a treat and I can the play games for at least 3 hours if not more and no heat issue and with the pack on I look no more silly than I do with the VR on. 😄

As for the note 5 and s6 edge+ not over heating they won't they have a much larger surface area to dissipate the heat so they never tend to heat up as much.

Hope this helps and happy VRing.

Jonohana
Level 2
Like many other posters here, my experience relates directly to the type of application I am using. I have found it best to close all other applications, reduce screen brightness to 5, and to run with the cover off. It also helps if I am in near some type of air movement however slight like a fan or AC outlet. I can watch videos this way without having any time outs to cool down. Some intense games may only give me 20 - 30 minutes before having to take a break.

MustangGT350
Level 2
I get this issue, I cant make it through the entire movie before my Samsung S6 shuts down due to overheating.
even after 5 min of use it's really hot. I think it's a battery issue. I will try the tips on putting the phone in Airplane mode and shut down all apps. also interested in the " 360 Security" app quoted in post 3.

Oleksiis
Level 2
"MustangGT350" wrote:
I get this issue, I cant make it through the entire movie before my Samsung S6 shuts down due to overheating.
even after 5 min of use it's really hot. I think it's a battery issue. I will try the tips on putting the phone in Airplane mode and shut down all apps. also interested in the " 360 Security" app quoted in post 3.

I had this issue first few days. Now it's almost impossible to overheat my S6. I can play any game for as long as I want or watch whole 3D movie with high bitrate. I don't even know why S6 works well now.

Diceman0925
Level 2
I've had the gear VR for almost a month now. I have the S six edge. When I play gun Jack for 10 minutes the phone overheats. if I go to Netflix I can watch entire movie without a problem. The problem with the S six edge and the gear VR is when you're in a 3d environment. If you're in a 3d environment for 10 or 15 minutes it doesn't matter what it is it could be a game it could be a 3d movie it could be 3d pictures as soon as you start looking around and moving the environment around phone will overheat. I think the think the S six edge+ has better heat dissipation.My son has it and he reports no overheating issues so it may be time to go to Verizon and switch out the S six edge for the s6 plus.. unfortunately Samsung obviously didn't take into account the many users that have the S six edge and its overheating issue. it's really unsatisfactory. This post has nothing to do wth the Note. Apparently Note users have no such issue. I believe this overheating is almost confined to edge users.

DrumAddict
Level 2
Soon after I started using it my phone overheated after 10 minutes of use. Then after repeated overheating a couple of buttons stopped working. After going through all the steps with Verizon to reset it I had to return the phone under warranty. Now my new replacement phone is still overheating and now randomly restarts.... Anyone else having issues like this?

Oleksiis
Level 2
"Diceman0925" wrote:
This post has nothing to do wth the Note. Apparently Note users have no such issue

Yep, no overheat on Note5 at all. No matter what you do, you'll never get an overheat.

dkatrencik
Level 4
I have a Note 5, and I do get overheating warning. It happens most with 360 videos.

MrJim
Level 2
My note 5 heats up ,I turned it down to 3 , can't get more than 30 minutes or so

MrJim
Level 2
"Oleksiis" wrote:
"Diceman0925" wrote:
This post has nothing to do wth the Note. Apparently Note users have no such issue

Yep, no overheat on Note5 at all. No matter what you do, you'll never get an overheat.

Mine sure overheats