cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb Idea? GoogleMaps-VR?

steveellis99
Honored Guest
I was just playing with Google Maps in Street View and I dawned on my that it's probably the biggest collection of 3D-ish images available anywhere. Is there an application out there somewhere already (I didn't find one), or a way to get a WWW-browser into GearVR or access the StreetViews through an API for virtual tourism? It clearly wouldn't be smooth video, but would be a pretty fun way to check out a neighborhood.

Thoughts from any actually qualified developers out there? This is beyond my skills, but thought it might interest somebody.
7 REPLIES 7

mitchellvii
Honored Guest
Driving while distracted? 🙂

steveellis99
Honored Guest
:shock: ...Thanks, I should have said to VIRTUALLY check out a neighborhood! No GEAR VR while driving folks...just desktop tourism.

mitchellvii
Honored Guest
just kidding bro. 🙂

Ashles
Protege
"steveellis99" wrote:
I was just playing with Google Maps in Street View and I dawned on my that it's probably the biggest collection of 3D-ish images available anywhere. Is there an application out there somewhere already (I didn't find one), or a way to get a WWW-browser into GearVR or access the StreetViews through an API for virtual tourism? It clearly wouldn't be smooth video, but would be a pretty fun way to check out a neighborhood.

Thoughts from any actually qualified developers out there? This is beyond my skills, but thought it might interest somebody.

Google Cardboard has a little demo of this where you drive around a set route in Paris using StreetView (so you can look all around and pause at any point). It's certainly doable and I'm sure will come fairly soon.

Am suspecting at the moment a lot of the restrictions around all these cool applications are not technological, but just getting the big companies to agree licensing with each other.
"Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."

steveellis99
Honored Guest
Thanks! I'll look for it...

Anonymous
Not applicable
It exists for the Oculus, I don't know about the Gear VR but if it uses the same SDK then maybe it already works for gearVR too? Or at least shouldn't be too hard to modify.

http://oculusstreetview.eu.pn/

steveellis99
Honored Guest
Thanks GrixM. That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking of. Very cool.