cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Feature Request] Add support for stereo panoramas for Oculus Home environments

firagabird
Adventurer
The current panoramas look nice and high resolution, and the recent support for custom environments is great, but they're all missing a crucial element of the original realtime environment: depth.

The major issue I have with the current implementation of the environment is that it looks flat. Because it's rendered in mono, the environment just looks like a panoramic photo instead of a believable space. The lack of depth is worse when looking at near objects like the floor, pillows, & books.

I'd like to request for the support of stereoscopic/3D panoramas to be added to Oculus Home. The OTOY panos in 360 Photos look amazing, & show that it's clearly already supported by VrShell (your underlying framework), so I'm asking that you extend this feature to Home.
S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.
1 REPLY 1

firagabird
Adventurer
Just to update this: the request not only won't be picked up, it rightly shouldn't. After discussing the idea with John Carmack, he noted how mixing stereo panoramas with any other game object is a really bad idea. The problem is that how stereo works in panoramas is basically a big hack: it only looks right at the center of the screen, while looking progressively worse if you look towards the edges. It also completely breaks when you tilt your head (i.e. it's incompatible with the new Bed Mode.) This is why when looking at OTOY's stereo panos in 360 Photos, bringing up the menu snaps the photo back to mono view.
S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.