cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S10 Gear VR Compatibility

JDWhit
Explorer
Hello!

Is the new Samsung Galaxy S10 compatible with the Galaxy S9 Gear VR version or will they be releasing a new Gear VR headset?

Thank you! 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Patty_Mick
Explorer
I've watch 4 or 5 videos on youtube that said that the s10 and s10 plus will work on the same Gear VR. No attachment needed just the regulual usb C one that you use with the s8 or s9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFuwxLpsmCc    There's one of them you can look up the others if you want.. they're easy to find... 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Patty_Mick
Explorer
I've watch 4 or 5 videos on youtube that said that the s10 and s10 plus will work on the same Gear VR. No attachment needed just the regulual usb C one that you use with the s8 or s9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFuwxLpsmCc    There's one of them you can look up the others if you want.. they're easy to find... 🙂

JDWhit
Explorer

I've watch 4 or 5 videos on youtube that said that the s10 and s10 plus will work on the same Gear VR. 

Thank you so much! That was very helpful!

Patty_Mick
Explorer
Not a problem.  I'm getting my s 10 plus next month. I can't wait!!!!

Patty_Mick
Explorer
S10 rather lol

JDWhit
Explorer

Not a problem.  I'm getting my s 10 plus next month. I can't wait!!!!

The last time I upgraded from the S8 to the S9 the Gear VR was not compatible. I had to buy a the new headset. I didn't want to have to do that again. I would like to buy the S10 (not the e or the +)

dpluigi
Honored Guest
I'm wondering is the change in VR image quality with S10 and S10+. Reports indicated that the Gear VR16/9 format means the per eye redolresol will be the same as with S9.

What im most curious about is if the more powerful CPU and GPU willwallow improved frame rate above 60fps and cooler phone ( especially with S10+ cooling vap chamber) when comparing with previous S9?
Anyone find more details?

I used VR app fine on S9 but the phone heats up too much for AR sessions and throttle down and/or need to shutdown after about 1h. I used ALVR for VR streaming and although 60fps is fine, 72 and 90fps are considered much better to help with VR sickness and overall VR experience.  For AR, I can stream with ALVR-ARCore, which allows 6DOF motion in room scale environment - but is very demanding on phone CPU and it heats up.
Thanks for your inputs

JDWhit
Explorer

dpluigi said:

I'm wondering is the change in VR image quality with S10 and S10+. Reports indicated that the Gear VR16/9 format means the per eye redolresol will be the same as with S9.

What im most curious about is if the more powerful CPU and GPU willwallow improved frame rate above 60fps and cooler phone ( especially with S10+ cooling vap chamber) when comparing with previous S9?
Anyone find more details?

I used VR app fine on S9 but the phone heats up too much for AR sessions and throttle down and/or need to shutdown after about 1h. I used ALVR for VR streaming and although 60fps is fine, 72 and 90fps are considered much better to help with VR sickness and overall VR experience.  For AR, I can stream with ALVR-ARCore, which allows 6DOF motion in room scale environment - but is very demanding on phone CPU and it heats up.
Thanks for your inputs

That's a great point! I didn't think about the affects of a more powerful processor for the Gear. I saw a video where they were suggestion that Samsung is moving way from VR or not putting as much effort into it. I hope not. 

tux0topo
Explorer
One friendly advice, GET THE S10 SNAPDRAGON VERSION!!! I have the Exynos, and had some heat warnings 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bonjour je suis un peu déçue gear vr maintenant ça marche plus avec samsung s10. Avant 2021 ça marche . Je ne me comprends pas ça ne marche plus casque gear vr2 avec contrôleur et samsung s10. 

Je ne veux pas acheter le nouveau casque. Je ne trouve pas regalage....

Bien cordialement 

Valerie