cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear VR not detected (S7) latest update bricked it!

vapofusion
Explorer
I stopped using my Gear VR for about a week (placed in a drawer), I noticed the latest update and the gear VR is not detected by the phone when inserted. It worked before the update flawlessly and I was disappointed problems from the DK1, DK2 days have come back (completely ruining the experience).

I have tried a lot to fix this and nothing has worked. Starting with:
  • Reset phone - didn't work
  • Uninstalled/reinstalled app - didn't work
  • Factory reset phone - Worked until the Oculus app updated again...seriously
  • Tried different Gear VR - still nothing on my phone S7 (at this point the problem is obviously the phone and the only thing that has changed on my phone since the last time I used the gear VR was the oculus update
  • I have tried my Gear VR in my mates S7 and it works like normal, back in my phone nothing
I am done with Oculus at this point, Nothing but problem after problem after poor customer service. Do one thing right and help me get my device working without waiting an eternity on a reply from customer service, thanks.

Any help from someone with similar problems please chime in!
69 REPLIES 69

Foxy198x
Honored Guest
Hey Guys!

This method worked for me.
I have two apps related to vr. Oculus app and the Samsung VR app.

I used a random video in the Samsung Vr app instead of the official Oculus app. Then the app asked me to connect the phone to the Gear Vr and after that the problem solved.

Have fun guys!

bobfiggs
Honored Guest
What finally worked for me was to shift the lock unlock switch on the Gear VR to the locked position prior to putting the S7 into the VR headset.  It is a little grey switch just outside of the micro USB connector used to hold the changeable USB connector in place.  I am presuming that without it in the locked position the USB port was not making good contact with the headset. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got my worked today.. its reading my SD 64gb card no problems at all. 
i just select the Samsung Gallery in the Oculus home page and the all SD card videos just came up.
I'm using Samsung S7 edge.

BR33S
Honored Guest
Anyone found a fix to this yet, got one for christmas and worked for about 5 uses. The problem is nothing happens when I plug my phone into the gear vr. I uninstalled the apps to then reinstall them but there is no links anywhere so I messed up there aswell :# . I'm using the samsung s7 edge and the white gear vr not the newer black one for reference. I would be greatful for a reply, happy new year!

Thanks  B)

asgo
Honored Guest
I found the mistake, the USB port in the cell phone. in certain places the connexion worked. And I made a new can the gear vr now use again. The weird the plant cell phone into the gear vr damage to the port in the long - term.

brattai
Honored Guest
I have a Samsung Edge6+ and once I updated my phone my gearvr has not worked since.  When I plug my headset into the phone nothing happens, doesn't connect at all.  Not being able to download the Oculus app (because its gone) there wasn't a lot of solutions. After a lot of reading and a bunch of luck I found the solution.  Like many of us that want to use cardboard and other VR apps, have downloaded the package disable pro in order to stop the oculus from loading so we can use different apps.  Well since the update the disabler has disabled Oculus and VR all together so click on your disable pro and uncheck all the oculus boxes. Youll see your oculus app has returned and you can now connect to your gearvr

robert_ottinger
Explorer
had the same issue - tried factory reset - no luck. Took it into bestbuy and the samsung tech futzed around with it. Fix was to disconnect the adapter on the headset and clean the contacts. 

theone7326
Honored Guest
I was reading this and other threads because I was having the same problem as others. Oculus was not starting when I placed my Galaxy S7 into the headset. I tried all the fixes mentioned above. I was at a loss.  Then I noticed that the locking mechanism on the VR Headset was unlocked and not properly seated. I pushed it in and locked it and everything started up fine. Hope this can work for others. It makes sense since any loose connections between two communicating devices can cause all sorts of problems.

glauberrocha6
Honored Guest
Também estou com a mesma dificuldade e nenhuma das opções acima deu certo

rickmoore4937
Honored Guest
Same with my Note8 after the upgrade .    . .nothing