Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Gear VR software will not install on Galaxy S6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Device: Galaxy S6 (SM-G920P)
Android Version: 5.1.1
Carrier: Sprint (But not activated/Wi-Fi only)
Details: Fresh, Factory-reset device. 24GB available.

I received my Gear VR this week, but I've had no luck in getting it to run. I put my Galaxy S6 in, and it completes the initial install, lets me login to my Oculus account, but will not install any of the Oculus apps or update "Oculus System Activities" once I reach that step.

Once it gets to the "Oculus 360 Photos" app, etc, it just starts erroring out. When I tap "Update Now" for the "Oculus System Activities" update, it appears to download something but it never actually updates. So, I'm stuck in a loop of nothing working. Plugging the phone into the Gear VR just shows me a message that it needs software installation to finish on the device.

I've tried everything I can think of: I've done an on-device factory reset, I've restored the device with Samsung Smart Switch, I've uninstalled the Oculus apps and tried again after restarting- nothing.

The only anomaly I can think of is that I do not have an active plan assigned to the S6 and it's wi-fi only (it's a work/dev device and does not have a carrier plan, although it is a Sprint device). The only thing I can imagine is there is a specific carrier setting that would require an OTA update to support the Gear VR... but that's a stretch IMO.

Overall I'm really disappointed and sad I haven't been able to get anything to work, or find anything online about fixing it.

Can ANYONE help me figure out how to get this working? Is there a way to adb the "Oculus System Activities" update onto the device? Or a way to update that doesn't rely on the system that isn't currently working?

Thank you.

CouldNotInstall.png
UpdateNotWorking.png
98 REPLIES 98

kxy09
Honored Guest
null
oh no,my phone have no com.facebook.appmanager
where can download 😞

azirb9
Honored Guest
Device:  Galaxy S6 (SM-G920P)

I had the same problem as those with the Sprint version of the Galaxy S6.  Occulus would not allow me to go beyond the system activities update.

I tried the following link to Occulus support stie and did what was advised.  My galaxy S6 worked just fine.   You have to enable the Facebook app manager and installer in order for the software to be updated.  Hope this helps those still having trouble.  

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/186299228426214/

Bengale
Honored Guest
Finally got into the process and sign into oculus app
Hi guys,
I finally succeeded in getting the download process working:
- log the samsung app output with logcat via adb 
- click on install button of the Gear Vr configuration wizzard
- catch the called urls on logcat and copy/paste them on your browser to download the APKs 
( for me : prePost_20160128024220687.apk
prePost_20160128024344077.apk
prePost_20160330073402086.apk
prePost_20160330073501789.apk
prePost_20160330073641987.apk
prePost_20160330073735750.apk)

- install them in the order the urls were called ( adb install -r prePost_20160128024344077.apk )
- on the device, stop the download using the cross
- click the install button again
The download should now be successful.

hzoli4
Honored Guest

Chubbyluve wrote:

The fix is in the Gear VR help section under update issues.

You have to enable the two applications which maybe disabled for some reason.

com.facebook.appmanager (App Manager)

com.facebook.system (Installer)

I located them in applications and viewed the system applications.

I am using a Galaxy s7 on Sprint. Once I did this I was able to get the update to complete and enjoy the VR experience.

Hey there, I've been trying to get this to work on my Wife's S6, initially she didn't have com.facebook.appmanager or .system listed in the Manage Applications. I went ahead and did the system update which brought her to Android 6.0 (Sprint btw). She now has the .appmanager which defaulted to Disabled. I've enabled that but I honestly don't see the com.facebook.system anywhere. Any idea what else I can do?

I've done the initial install of Oculus stuff, but now it wants me to update the Oculus System Services or something, and that update never goes thru, it downloads to like 80 percent and then the notification disappears. I don't have any other packages blocked or any special package blocker apps.

EDIT: Figured it out, I had to click "More" -> "Show system apps", found it disabled. Enabled it and everything is working!

thx 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently purchased the VR Gear device only to find myself facing the same issue. I know this forum post is dated, but I found it while attempting to find a solution to my issue and thought it would be nice to post in case anyone else is having the same issue. Since the device is run through facebook, you MUST go through your settings to make sure facebook permissions are enabled. Directions are as follows:

How do I turn on App Manager and Installer?
To turn on the App Manager and Installer, tap on the "Settings" application, then "Applications" and finally "Application manager". Make sure you have chosen the "All" category and find the following applications: 
  • com.facebook.appmanager (App Manager)
  • com.facebook.system (Installer)
Tap into each and make sure they are enabled. 

Unable to find com.facebook.system

If you are on Android OS 6.0 (Marshmallow), com.facebook.system may not be visible. Please try the following steps:
  1. Navigate to Settings
  2. Tap on Application Manager
  3. Tap the More menu in the upper right corner
  4. Tap Show System Apps
  5. This will make com.facebook.system visible and allow you to enable it.
The App Manager and the Installer must be enabled before Gear VR apps can be installed and updated on your mobile phone.

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/186299228426214/?ref=hc_fnav

AbandonedCart
Honored Guest
Suggesting anyone drop their carrier because the software their company provides is provided broken has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read. Seeing that posted when unable to update my software on the Note 7 has not made me reconsider my carrier. Instead, I have packed up the Gear VR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gear VR and Oculus is a piece of fucking crap does not work properly and Oculus and facefuck dont give two shits, waiting for Sony VR so can put this piece of shit in the bin

jerryjerry24
Honored Guest
I dont see "show System apps" in more...

aliothman99
Honored Guest
I have galaxy S7edge and oculus app was working at the first . But recently it says your oculus software needs to be updated to the most recent version.  And when i update it it still says your oculus software needs to be updated to the most recent version.  I cant use my vr becouse of that . Can anyone help me???