Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Gear VR software will not install on Galaxy S6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Device: Galaxy S6 (SM-G920P)
Android Version: 5.1.1
Carrier: Sprint (But not activated/Wi-Fi only)
Details: Fresh, Factory-reset device. 24GB available.

I received my Gear VR this week, but I've had no luck in getting it to run. I put my Galaxy S6 in, and it completes the initial install, lets me login to my Oculus account, but will not install any of the Oculus apps or update "Oculus System Activities" once I reach that step.

Once it gets to the "Oculus 360 Photos" app, etc, it just starts erroring out. When I tap "Update Now" for the "Oculus System Activities" update, it appears to download something but it never actually updates. So, I'm stuck in a loop of nothing working. Plugging the phone into the Gear VR just shows me a message that it needs software installation to finish on the device.

I've tried everything I can think of: I've done an on-device factory reset, I've restored the device with Samsung Smart Switch, I've uninstalled the Oculus apps and tried again after restarting- nothing.

The only anomaly I can think of is that I do not have an active plan assigned to the S6 and it's wi-fi only (it's a work/dev device and does not have a carrier plan, although it is a Sprint device). The only thing I can imagine is there is a specific carrier setting that would require an OTA update to support the Gear VR... but that's a stretch IMO.

Overall I'm really disappointed and sad I haven't been able to get anything to work, or find anything online about fixing it.

Can ANYONE help me figure out how to get this working? Is there a way to adb the "Oculus System Activities" update onto the device? Or a way to update that doesn't rely on the system that isn't currently working?

Thank you.

CouldNotInstall.png
UpdateNotWorking.png
98 REPLIES 98

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't get it. It did install correctly with no problems (this is SM-G20P) when I first set it up. And it was installing apps successfully for a couple weeks. This "could not install" crap only started a few days ago.

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's strange to me. I'm not sure how it ever worked.

Do you recall anything that happened a few days ago (software update, new app installations, etc.)?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
I seem to remember seeing notifications a few days ago for a bunch of application updates, but I can't remember what they were. I don't know where to look for application update histories.

In Settings -> System Update, it said the last system update was on December 21 (before I had the Gear VR). I just checked to see if any updates are available, but there aren't any. (The "Auto-Update" switch has been off the whole time.)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, I'm 90% sure that I did see something from Oculus got updated. But since it's been uninstalled now, I guess there's no way to know.

csimmerling
Honored Guest
I'm having this same problem. Brand new Note 5, Sprint model, not activated since I don't need cell service on this one. I bought it just for the Gear. The Gear VR works just fine with my other Note 5 that does have service, and I've been using it a while so I don't think the Gear is defective. On the new one, Oculus installs but then when I try to setup the VR apps they download but install fails (360 photos, etc). I get a message saying the Oculus system activities needs to update. Like OP, it downloads the update but as soon at it finishes, it doesn't install and goes right back to saying I need to update.

Does the Gear VR require that you have cell service, not just functioning wifi? I can't find that documented anywhere, and it doesn't really seem logical.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You do need cell service to get the update. However, your problem is that it's a Sprint phone, so it won't work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

csimmerling
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
You do need cell service to get the update. However, your problem is that it's a Sprint phone, so it won't work.

that's not my experience since I have exactly the same model phone with service and it works just fine despite being a Sprint phone.

why would it need cell service to function? isn't wifi sufficient?

cybereality
Grand Champion
There is a special firmware needed to VR to work, and this only comes from the carrier.

csimmerling
Honored Guest
are you saying that this can only be downloaded via the cell service? if so, is there a way I can copy it from my Note 5 that has service to the one that does not?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine was working fine, no problems at all. I was able to install apps with no problems from December 31 to January 16 (the end of last week). Something happened this week that cratered it. Did any updates get rolled out?