cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How exactly are files supposed to be named, and folders set up for the GearVR???

mikeyursomny
Honored Guest
So this is driving me crazy. First off I just wanted to say I have searched extensively here and online for answers to no avail. If I've missed it somewhere I apologize.

There have been a few updates to Oculus for the GearVR and also the "Gallery" and "Video" app within the GearVR over the last two weeks. Playback has changed slightly, between playing back through the "Gallery" app, or through the "Video" app. However, and more to the point as the title asks....is there anyone out there who can explain to me how to name files exactly, and in addition how folders should be set up and located?? 

All of these questions are in regards to watching 3D videos with stereoscopic view. Whether 180 or 360 degrees.

Now, I'm somewhat aware of the set ups, but not definitively. I realize that 180 degree SBS (side by side) videos are to include "180x180_3dh". However I've also seen "180x180_3dh_LR" (the LR meaning left/right obv). Previously (before the recent updates) I had to take the LR off the end of the filename for it to work correctly (contrary to what I had come across in the past that the file needed this included). But now it doesn't seem to matter in the "Videos" app, it can include the "_LR" at the end (prior to the file format, such as .mp4, etc, I'm aware), or it doesn't need it to work correctly. At least my experience. 

In addition I realize that 180 degree top/bottom end with "180x180_3dv", and once again I've seen the filename end in "180x180_3dv_TB" (for top/bottom). However again, in the "Video" app it doesn't seem to matter if the "_TB" is on the end of the filename or not now? It also seems sometimes there are issues with the "top/bottom" videos playing correctly with the "_3dv" at the end. I'm also curious about how to name 360 degree videos? I have just two or three of these (out of probably about 150 videos in total), one works fine, two don't. I've tried renaming the files that I'm having issues with in many different ways, without success. I've also tried relocating to different folders, sub folders, etc.

Lastly, the folder set up! How the heck are these supposed to be and where?? I realize when Oculus software is first installed an "Oculus" folder is automatically created on your phone within the phone storage. For my movies that are working I have everything installed in a folder simply named "Movies" (NOT installed as a sub folder within the Oculus folder. And I actually have this located on my 256gb SD card, not the phone storage). Nearly all of my SBS seem to work correctly in the "Videos" app now. But I know there is more to it than this. Dating back I've seen different instructions in my lengthy searching. I've read files should be in a folder named "My Movies". I've read there should be a sub folder within "My Movies" named "3D" for 3D movies. But as stated there have been updates to the Gallery app and the Video app.

I find it completely shocking that Oculus on their own website doesn't have a simple guide to explain EXACTLY how files and folders are to be named and set up for optimal and correct playback. 3D SBS, top/bottom, 3D movies to be played back in the theater? Nothing in the support or Faq's section at all. It should be that simple right??

Lastly, as a point of notice, nearly all of the files I'm mentioning are 3D VR adult films, and I can definitely verify that they aren't corrupt or bad files. That is definitely not the issue. But also curious where to locate and name a regular 3D movie as mentioned in the above paragraph also.

Any help at all would be IMMENSELY appreciated! Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3

cybereality
Grand Champion
See this article: https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1044498395609952/
And please don't post the same message multiple times (I deleted the other thread). Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

mikeyursomny
Honored Guest

See this article: https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1044498395609952/
And please don't post the same message multiple times (I deleted the other thread). Thanks.

Although I appreciate the link, this barely scratches the surface of the questions i posed. This only describes 360 degree videos, which as i mentioned i may have a total of 3 out of 150 videos. It doesn't address 180 degree videos at all. It also doesn't fully address my questions in regards to folder and file locations, only mentioning in passing a "Movies" folder. Nothing about the need to place it inside of the created "Oculus" folder (or not) , nothing about 3D movies or a sub folder named "3D" (which I know for a fact is needed to play back regular 3D movies). Incomplete info. 

I know just adding "_180_LR" will not work correctly for a 180 degree SBS video (as stated for 360 videos, and _360_LR just stretches a 180 degree video to 360, completely distorted), so this isn't full description. This link doesnt even adress 180 degree movies at all. Again, i appreciate the link, but still looking for a much more accurate and detailed instruction. Thanks again in advance

I'm still at a complete loss as to how Oculus doesn't  have FULL and detailed simple explanations that work for 3D 180, 3D 360, and separately "regular" 3D movies (which do indeed need to be in a 3D folder...not included in the instructions link).

Anyone with full, valuable information would be appreciated 

dvp5150
Explorer
mikeyursomny,

I just posted a similar post this afternoon. You are SO right on this. I'm in the same boat. I'm rendering out my own 3D stereoscopic animation movies from a 3D app and I'm completely stumped and frustrated with the lack of direction and clear information out there. I have rendered out movies to the EXACT specifications, from Oculus, in regards to format, resolution, etc. I've named, renamed and renamed again (in accordance to the inept Oculus page stating how to name one's files), I've put my 360-3D stereoscopic movies in every folder, sub-folder and directory imaginable...... and I still can't get a single one of my rendered movies to even get recognized by Oculus videos, let alone play. As an interesting side note, if I render out a single frame, to the same specifications, I CAN view that. So I have no idea what is going on. It's alway difficult to trouble shoot a new technology when it's still in it's infancy, so I just assume it's going to be this way for a while until some clear winners come out on top and standards permeate the market more. I'll let you know if I get anywhere on my end.

My post:    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/450997#Comment_450997

Good luck!

-Dave