cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Gear VR missing an obvious target market???

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I volunteer at many Shriners Hospitals where children are treated for free. Many of them with death sentences fighting to survive some missing limbs etc. I really wanted to share Gear VR with them. Allow a bed ridden child to hope around the world with street view or get a good laugh from the bunny in invasion. However I think Oculus or Samsung which ever is responsible really dropped the ball in not allowing you to tell the interface which way is straight (meaning allow for redefining of the X,Y,Z, axis) so that bedridden people can enjoy this. I mean there's not a parent on the planet who wouldn't get this device for their child to take their mind of chemo or other ailments if you could just use it from your back. While maybe not so possible for the rift with the whole PC set up I would think that someone at Samsung would have the innovative sense to realize that the mobility of the Gear VR should also extend to bringing virtual mobility to the immobile... Am I missing something here? Is there some technical reason it wouldn't work? There is one app, I thing it might be the Samsung gallery that lets you look at the ceiling and long press the pad button the it centers on the ceiling so I'm thinking it's not only totally possible but since that's a samsung app it was even right in their face and they missed it. Can this be fixed with a patch do you think?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Synthetic
Rising Star
yes its early days for the programs, they will have orientation adjustments so you can be laying in bed, most are just trying their best to get things working to be honest dashi,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Synthetic
Rising Star
yes its early days for the programs, they will have orientation adjustments so you can be laying in bed, most are just trying their best to get things working to be honest dashi,

strokercrate
Adventurer
Maybe but the senses would go nuts. The movie and netflix apps allow this though.. As for the sense. I made a 360 picture of my kitchen put the gear on and the image was backwards from my actual kitchen, it threw my senses off and made me sick since my vision was fighting my memory and touch. And a child on chemo would likely get really sick.

Anonymous
Not applicable
null
Makes sense thanks for the feedback.

Anonymous
Not applicable
null
Strokercrate, you'd be surprised. Kids especially are super resilient, and they've already been on medications that would make VR seem like the normal world. I'm pretty sure must could handle it.

strokercrate
Adventurer
Possible i know my wife couldn't on chemo even with the shot and two meds but kids can usually fight through things like that more as well