cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's talk the screen. Scratches, smudges, protectors.

Someguitarist
Level 2
So having a Note 4 in use as my daily cell phone, I'm thoroughly worried that it'll just take one drop or scratch to render the whole Gear VR relatively unusable. I'm generally pretty good about things and I've got a screen protector on, but there's already a *small* circle in the upper left where I imagine my keys dug into the screen protector. If it's the actual screen already, I'll cry, but it looks like it's far enough out of the way that it wouldn't be noticed.

What do you guys think? Have you had any smudges bother you? Do you use a screen protector? Worried about scratches under the lenses of the Gear VR?

EDIT: Also, it would be incredibly helpful if someone could post an image of what the actual view able area is on their screen with the lenses. It would help me begin work on my project, and also help decide if I should bother removing and putting another screen protector on.
3 REPLIES 3

QUAKE
Level 3
I was also curious how screen protectors can affect visual acuity and fit. And if there is a nice "reusable" case that's made to fit the whole phone in without taking off the back constantly.

Matte may decrease the screendoor effect at the cost of some sharpness.

Someone streamed from their note4 and uploaded it to youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrhcoSImeR8&hd=1

Please note that the 2 eye 'portals' float with prediction and are not fixed like they were in original DK1, so the position changes slightly.

dogtato
Level 2
I had a Galaxy S2 for years that only got one scratch on it. Just keep the phone in a dedicated pocket with nothing else, especially keys, and the screen will probably be fine.

I've been using the s-pen a lot to avoid smudging the screen. I doubt I'd use it if I didn't have a gear vr.

HomerS66
Level 4
"dogtato" wrote:
I had a Galaxy S2 for years that only got one scratch on it. Just keep the phone in a dedicated pocket with nothing else, especially keys, and the screen will probably be fine.

I've been using the s-pen a lot to avoid smudging the screen. I doubt I'd use it if I didn't have a gear vr.

The problem are usually not keys but dirt/sand particles which can be rubbed in. Even tho the Note 4 has Gorilla Glass 4, i'm a bit worried myself.