cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Gear VR available April 21st for $129

GenetixStudio
Level 9
Ever since I got a phone capable of running a Gear VR I've been a bit more curious about it as a compliment to my Rift while on the go. 

Today Samsung announced that the new Gear VR (Plus it's shiny new controller) will be available on April 21st for $129

That seems a bit pricey for mobile VR, but then again that new controller seems like a game changer. It also looks like Oculus Home for mobile is getting some major improvements.

I'll probably not be able to just skip this as it sound to damn tempting, what about you guys?
18 REPLIES 18

Hiro_Protag0nist
Level 13

As far as I can tell the headset itself has nearly no changes at all... A slightly different strap that the controller can stay and minor aesthetic changes. Haven't found any evidence of improved lenses, FOV, etc... I'm thinking I might order the 2016 Gear VR for around $50 brand new and get the controller for $39 when it comes out.

Yeah, if they're not shouting about improvements, there probably aren't any unfortunately and as stated, very similar but slightly lower ppi on the phone.  Unless there are some very clever improvements to the screen then it just sounds like the same deal we had 2 years ago.

kevink808
Level 9

andyring said:

The S8 has a lower PPI than the S6 and S7 had.

I'll wait to see what those users who upgrade have to say.

I can't tell the difference anymore to be honest.  I'm looking for more innovative features, like 3D/VR camera integration, even if simulated, and true over-air wireless charging...not that Q shit.  
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

GenetixStudio
Level 9
I honestly didn't blink an eye at the Gear or much for mobile VR before myself - The Rift has been a great experience over the last year. Now that I have a phone capable of using it I want to take VR on the go if at all possible though!

bubimude
Level 3
I'd be curious whether the S8 can handle slightly higher resolution video playback or at least full 60fps at 4k.  For video at least, the current PPI doesn't really matter because past phones haven't been able to play back anywhere near the required resolution to make use of the display.

Kalec84
Level 7
Does the controller need the 2017 gear VR version or will it work with the 2016?
Also, will the s8 fit in the 2016 gear VR?

FrozenPea
Level 13
@Kalec84 Yeah the controller is backwards compatible.

Not sure if it will work with the 2016 version though, I guess if the port is the same then I don't see why not but we'll probably have to wait for official word. 
Check out my Medium Sculpts: 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/49696/frozenpeas-sketchbook

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrozenPeaSculpts

Shadowmask72
Level 16
It looks like you're on the case with this detective Frozenpea. Please let us know your findings when you do eventually discover what makes this new Gear VR desirable over the previous versions (aside from looking bulkier and black).

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

kevink808
Level 9

Kalec84 said:

Does the controller need the 2017 gear VR version or will it work with the 2016?
Also, will the s8 fit in the 2016 gear VR?

I would hope so if they have a promotion with a free Gear and remote for pre-order.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I have the current gen of the gear vr and am happy with it. But won't upgrade until it drops in price again. My only gripe is my phone gets so damn hot. (S7 edge)
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.