cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus 360 photos: add/edit metadata?

the_reconstruct
Protege
Hi!
I need to urgently add metadata to show of my work.
I can't for the life of me find any documentation on how to go about it.

At first I though it was straightforward, edit attributes.txt on the sdcard and that's it.
But alas, it seems that method is deprecated/obsoleted, as no amount of editing helps.

There is mention of the assets folder:
The meta data has the following structure in a meta.json file which is read in from the assets folder

But where exactly is the folder and where one should put the meta.json is unclear.

If someone has some info about the issue, please reply.

Thanks!
i7 3970x @ 4.4GHz | 64gb ddr3 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB | Gigabyte x79 UD5 | Samsung NVMe 960 pro | 10 x 3TB WD green
Gear VR Innovators Edition | Note 3 | Note 4
41 REPLIES 41

the_reconstruct
Protege
Bump?
i7 3970x @ 4.4GHz | 64gb ddr3 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB | Gigabyte x79 UD5 | Samsung NVMe 960 pro | 10 x 3TB WD green

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our hope is still on the lovely Oculus programmers to implement this I fear... Very high on my wishlist...

cybereality
Grand Champion
OK, I will check on this for you.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

the_reconstruct
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:

Please do, as this is an important option us content creators, also a pretty basic one.

the_reconstruct
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:

Any updates?

C360
Honored Guest
Have been on this issue for months now, never got any feedback unfortunately.

My take is that with a device being able to show custom content it's important to somehow deliver a CMS for maintaining that very content. It could be an app on the S6/Note4, an online tool, whatever.

Also conversion to the far superior display method of cube faces instead of 2x1 images is still very tricky and a manual job due to the choice of non-regular display. Now you have to mirror all and rotate some cube faces!

Would seriously be interested in solutions here, even willing to pay for it!
-/-/-enri

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"C360" wrote:

My take is that with a device being able to show custom content it's important to somehow deliver a CMS for maintaining that very content. It could be an app on the S6/Note4, an online tool, whatever.

Also conversion to the far superior display method of cube faces instead of 2x1 images is still very tricky and a manual job due to the choice of non-regular display. Now you have to mirror all and rotate some cube faces!

Carmack mentioned a converter for Equirectangular to cubemap once but probably dident had the time to create one just yet.

the_reconstruct
Protege
"C360" wrote:

That's bad. Not nice of Oculus to treat developers and content creators like that.

I don't get it?
To me and my workflow equirectangular images beat cubemaps any time. Who wants to deal with multiple files and no real way to preview the whole image (seam editing)?
OTOH it's pretty simple to convert so I don't see a problem there. I'd use Krpano or Pano2VR of the top of my head.

PS: I just remembered that you can also have cross type cube maps in one file, so there's that, but I still dislike them.

C360
Honored Guest
"the.reconstruction" wrote:

To me and my workflow equirectangular images beat cubemaps any time. Who wants to deal with multiple files and no real way to preview the whole image (seam editing)?
OTOH it's pretty simple to convert so I don't see a problem there. I'd use Krpano or Pano2VR of the top of my head.

It's not about the creation process of the panorama, that's indeed equirectangular it's about the display of those images. Just load a 4096x2048 equi and than a 1536sq or 2048sq cubed panorama and you'll never use equis again if you care for image quality.

It's not just a matter of converting to cube faces, I do that regularly using Pano2VR, the naming, rotating ánd flipping makes it quite laborious. I have a bout 500 panos on the GearVR!
-/-/-enri