cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Solcial Alpha

littlebigben
Explorer
Hello,

I have one question about the Oculus Social application on Samsung Gear VR, does anybody knows what game engine Oculus used to do it?

Thanks,
Benjamin
-- Benjamin
7 REPLIES 7

gugl37
Honored Guest
i have since 16.11 the problem that i can not connect to a room.
always when i connect i jump back to the main menu.
the days before 16.11 was no problem with the software.
are the server down?
can everything help me please???

littlebigben
Explorer
Hello gugl37,

I don't know, I don't have access to a Gear right now.

My question about the game engine is because I'm developing an multi user application for Gear using Unity3D, and Unity has some restriction for the moment about the network.

So if Oculus use Unity for the Oculus Social Alpha, I would be interested to know how they can deal with the Unity network constraints.
-- Benjamin

Hazen
Honored Guest
Anybody else have a bluetooth headphone/mike that cannot be recognized by this app?

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"Hazen" wrote:
Anybody else have a bluetooth headphone/mike that cannot be recognized by this app?

Have you tried wired headphones, maybe BT headphones are not recognized in general.

Hazen
Honored Guest
Wired works, but I'm just wondering if any others are having problems. I'd much rather use my wireless as they are pretty nice.

littlebigben
Explorer
Bluetooth headphones are not accessible to developers, I think Oculus has the same issue 🙂
-- Benjamin

owenwp
Expert Protege
All their media apps are written using the native SDK in C++ and java. Unity consumes too much processing power to run the CPU and GPU at the lowest clock settings, preventing long running times, and generally has a lot of stuff you don't need for something this simple, and has various inefficiencies that are there for simplicity. As Carmack said at connect, you probably shouldn't be using a full game engine unless you need a skeletal mesh renderer, particle system or physics.

The source code for Oculus Cinema is in the SDK.