cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problens using gear VR with daughters phone

nina.kingsmith
Level 2

Soon my daughter bought a gear VR headset for her birthday, she has a Samsung galaxy A41, I used to have a headset and got rid of it but still have the account so I have logged into the account and downloaded the oculus app on her phone but I don't know how to register the new device on my account can anyone help me please I have a very upset daughter at the moment TIA

6 REPLIES 6

OculusSupport
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hey there @nina.kingsmith, this isn't what we like to hear! While we don't officially support the Gear VR or the Oculus Go anymore, there's a support article on our website to help you get started using it, as well as fixes to any potential problems you may run in to. You can find that article here! Cheers!

Vurlix
Level 3

Not sure if this helps but know that the Google Playatore version of the oculus app won't work. When you plug the phone into the Gear VR it should walk you through setting it up, (if it's compatible) and install a Gear VR version of the oculus app. After than it should let you log into your previous account. 

OculusSupport
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hello! Yes, @Vurlix is correct; The Oculus app found in the Google Play Store is not compatible with Gear VR.

To use your Gear VR, you need to install the Oculus app. The Oculus app for Gear VR is not available to download from the Play Store. To install it, follow the instructions below.

Note: Before you set up your Samsung Gear VR, turn your Samsung Android phone’s volume on and make sure it’s connected to a Wi-Fi network.

To set up your Samsung Gear VR:

1. Connect your headset straps:

Before you connect your phone to your Gear VR headset, connect and adjust your Gear VR straps.

1. Insert the ends of the wider strap through the loops on the Gear VR headset and fasten the Velcro tabs.
  2. Connect the hook on the end of the top strap under the metal bar at the top of the headset and snap it in place.
  3. Slide the bottom end of the top strap through the loop into the wider strap and fasten the Velcro tab.

2. Connect your phone:

After you've connected your headset straps, connect your phone to your Gear VR headset.

1. Connect your phone to your Gear VR headset and then put it on.
  2. Once you hear the voice instructions, remove your phone from the Gear VR headset.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to download the Oculus app to your phone.
  4. Open the Oculus app and follow the on-screen instructions to create an account.
  5. Reconnect your phone to your Gear VR headset and then put it on.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to reach out! Cheers!

Thankyou guys so much, she had already unpackaged it and connected the headset to the phone via WiFi before I could butt in and stop her, I might have to delete everything and start again, if that dosnt work do you by any chance know of a headset that will work with the Samsung galaxy A41 please ? Do any of the newer ones work ? Thankyou again for all your help 

OculusSupport
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hey @nina.kingsmith! Let us know if starting the process over again works for you! If you're still needing headset recommendations, the Oculus Quest 2 is amazing! It's an all in one headset, so no need for external setup or mobile phones. Cheers!

d2jkazb
Level 5