cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on how 3d sphere pictures work.

Someguitarist
Level 2
Forgive me if I'm missing something basic here; but how do the 3D sphere pictures work?

If I stood in a field and took a 2d sphere using the surround mode, then took a small step to the right and created another 2d sphere using surround mode, I'd technically have steroscopic 3d, but only in the forward direction. If I looked the the left then the camera would be looking 'through' where the camera originally was, and vice-versa if I'd looked right. And if I looked behind me, my eyes would technically cross!

So how do these sphere photos with depth work? The only solution that I can think of is that one camera is placed *over* the other, and then depth is calculated via that. Is that how it's done? Is there a way I can take 3d sphere photos by combining two 2d spheres?
6 REPLIES 6

HomerS66
Level 4
I think 3D 360° photos are not supported yet, atleast i haven't seen any.

cybereality
Level 16
I've seen stereo 360 videos but, to be honest, I haven't figured out how they do it.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Someguitarist
Level 2
Yeah, it's just the logic of turning around that blows my mind. More power to 'em then.

So are all the 3d sphere photos included in Gear VR just ordinary single sphere pictures with no depth? Wow, I could have sworn some of them had depth information!

KydDynoMyte
Level 2
You can use multiple pairs of cameras and stitch it together similar to this:

http://www.360heros.com/2014/01/worlds-first-fully-spherical-3d-360-video-and-photo-gear/

HomerS66
Level 4
"Someguitarist" wrote:
Yeah, it's just the logic of turning around that blows my mind. More power to 'em then.

So are all the 3d sphere photos included in Gear VR just ordinary single sphere pictures with no depth? Wow, I could have sworn some of them had depth information!

Only the new app Matterport seems to show 360° photos with added depth in them.

Sqwethm
Level 2
> Only the new app Matterport seems to show 360° photos with added depth in them.

Matterport does this by mapping textures onto scanned 3D geometry. It isn't really a 360 photo. It is more like a game render.