cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Gear VR not working

Dani_Lazette
Honored Guest
I have an order VR viewer, the Samsung Gear VR. It has been working perfectly for months. However, I had to replace my phone. It was replaced with the same exact type of phone, a Samsung S9 yet now the Occulus app does not automatically start when the phone is connected to the viewer. I've tried everything I can think of including uninstalling all of the Oculus software so that it could be reinstalled. I called Samsung and they're saying that my phone it's not compatible with the viewer but this simply isn't the case because the exact same type of phone was working for MONTHS. Honestly, I feel that since these goggles are older it seems to me that Samsung simply don't want to offer support-which is a really crappy thing to do to a loyal customer. In my search for a solution I see that this is not an uncommon issue so there really should be a resolution that is available for customers. This does NOT seem to be an issue with the connector. This does NOT seem to be an issue with how the phone is connected  to the viewer. If this was working weeks ago thered seem to be a viable hardware-related reason why I should just stop working. the Samsung representative that I spoke to didn't even want to try to troubleshoot. Can anyone offer any troubleshooting tips?
4 REPLIES 4

Pacman8030
Expert Protege
Samsung and Oculus are no longer partners, so I wonder if they removed the app from later shipments of the same phone.

target1954
Honored Guest
I have the same issue with my Galaxy 7, is there a way to download the required app so that the VR goggles will be useful again?

Pacman8030
Expert Protege
I dont think so.... Samsung/Oculus wants those things to be a dead paperweight it seems. I had to buy a new headset when I upgraded to the Note 10 and I am so glad I went with the Quest. It makes the GearVR seem like a baby's toy.

Technology4Seni
Honored Guest
There is a list of the supported Samsung Phones for the different Gear VR versions, but this forum won't let me post links (yet) so here is a picture
ldjrwmt4mrap.jpg
The release note for version 12 state its support Gear VR, but I don't know how to load it unto my Gear SM-R325