cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thats it! can't take the non adjustable IPD anymore!

helifrek
Explorer
Firing up the CAD and 3D printer..... it may not be pretty but i am going to make the damn IPD adjustable! I am not great at CAD stuff but I will make it work. Cross your fingers. I will post results and pictures as I modify it along with any stl files I come up with.
i5-6600k, 980 ti, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 16Gb RAM. Whoohoooo!!!!! finally all built and running! CV1 pre-ordered (July)
10 REPLIES 10

helifrek
Explorer
Ok, I took the headset apart last night. I should have taken a video but I will just take apart my wifes headset and record that so I can start from scratch.
I am trying to make this mod as easy and painless as possible but it will require a dremel (rotary tool) and some glue. The IPD will be adjustable from the stock IPD which I think it 63mm to 69mm (right now). I forgot to add a 1/2mm to eash side to get 70mm (which is what I am). I finally got all of the parts designed and I think it will look pretty good and doesn't require a ton of chopping up the headset. I will make sure to post videos when it is all done as well as a review on how well it works.

printing the new parts right now....
i5-6600k, 980 ti, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 16Gb RAM. Whoohoooo!!!!! finally all built and running! CV1 pre-ordered (July)

helifrek
Explorer
It works! I will post some pictures tomorrow and upload the videos I took also. Doesn't look half bad either!

kingkong90210
Honored Guest
i know your pain!

i have a big IPD and whilst it worked i thought it wasn't perfect.

decided to go fark it and hacked up the hole to make it bigger.

i took piccs, see these threads

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=30346&p=336301&hilit=ipd#p336301

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=30346&p=334908&hilit=ipd#p334908

I'm curious to see how yours turned out.

in the end there are limits to increasing IPD as (as far as i know) there is no way to make the pictures wider appart on the screen to follow the focal point of the lens moving further appart

- if anyone knows how to do this i'd be interested to know

helifrek
Explorer
Sorry for not posting pictures sooner. I took videos of the entire process as well but have uploaded them yet.

They are adjustable. The problem is that it causes what I can only describe as eye strain? My eyes adjust to the new lens layout but when you take off the hmd it is very hard for my eyes to adjust and focus again, so I haven't been using it. The wife doesn't use hers so this one is just for experimenting and I steal hers when I want to mess around 🙂

Pics not posting on mobile..... will try again when I get home.

joan
Protege
The eye strain is probably caused by 1. the displayed content is still at the original IPD and 2. the lenses are no longer aligned with their distortion…

helifrek
Explorer
I thought about #1 but I don't know what you mean about the lenses being aligned with their distortion, I will have to look that up. I think I have an idea though.

Anyways, PICTURES!!! finally!

kingkong90210
Honored Guest
"helifrek" wrote:
Sorry for not posting pictures sooner. I took videos of the entire process as well but have uploaded them yet.

They are adjustable. The problem is that it causes what I can only describe as eye strain? My eyes adjust to the new lens layout but when you take off the hmd it is very hard for my eyes to adjust and focus again, so I haven't been using it. The wife doesn't use hers so this one is just for experimenting and I steal hers when I want to mess around 🙂

Pics not posting on mobile..... will try again when I get home.

yes i had that experience to but as my lens are held by just blutac putty, i was able to adjust the IPD, I found that if i just increase the lens separate a little - BUT not quite to what it should be for my IPD i got a better image and no eye strain

- but the image is not quite as good as if i had the lens wider apart at the width of my IPD and i look through only one eye. but if i look thru 2 eyes with lens separated by my exact IPD i got eye strain.

so bottom line, you will get a better result if you only move the lens apart by a few mm, instead of the full amount to match your IPD, this is due to the fact that the image can't be moved sideways with the lens

in my case my IPD is 73mm, i move each lens 3mm sideways - wideing lens separatinon by 6mm. this was a good balance between improved picture quality and no eye strain.

helifrek
Explorer
thats weird because I did the same thing, the lenses are exactly 69mm apart and it kills my eyes, I can adjust them down to 63mm also and that helps. The lenses are in holders and the holders slide, so it is adjustable!

pixel67
Explorer
I did mine with a dremel and a hot glue gun but I do need to back the adjustment off as you mentioned and still want a more elegant solution. Can you share the IPL file?