cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Anti fog solution

GeekTripp
Level 2
Hello everyone. I've been noticing that my lenses fog up a ton on my Gear VR, and I know many of you have the same problem. I wanted to share my knowledge as far as lens fog.

I've played paintball for quite some time now, and I sweat a ton. I always have (even when I was in shape. Lol). The answer in paintball are lenses called "thermal lenses." These are basically two lenses that are attached with a small air pocket in between. This allows the difference in air temperature to minimize between the first and second pane. This almost completely eliminates fog.

The reason I mention it is with the hopes an oculus employee may check it out. I'm not sure if there would be any distortion, as these are obviously different lenses, but it is an incredible solution, and I truly think every Oculus should be equipped with them. Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

VLord
Level 2
Here is the most simple solution because you do not need anything at all. The reason your glasses fog, is because the temperature of you body and the temperature of the goggles is different. If you wear the goggles on top of your head for about ten minutes before putting over your eyes they will adjust to your body temp and will no longer fog. Works every time. Have fun.

AdKiuCM
Level 5

mbze430 said:

I SCUBA, and spit always worked best when diving 😄

Same here. Might not be the best solution for a HMD though. While I had DK2 for a year I always used to have a microfibre cloth available and was reducing amount of beer consumed while playing.

misalani
Level 2

I use a drop of dish soap and gently rub it on then kind of wipe it off. Works wonders for me when I'm heavily sweating, nearly no fog and virtually free.

I just tested this on my Oculus quest and it worked...generally am fogging up on the first song on Supernatural, just did a 20 min work out and it stayed clear.  🙂

strangebride
Level 2

AdKiuCM said:

mbze430 said:

I SCUBA, and spit always worked best when diving 😄

Same here. Might not be the best solution for a HMD though. While I had DK2 for a year I always used to have a microfibre cloth available and was reducing amount of beer consumed while playing.

I'm a SCUBA diver too, so my first inclination was to spit, but considering the FOAM around the face, I decided against it. But I did work up a wad of drool before I stopped myself  😄

i was wondering if this would work... i imagine you would need to be a bit more judicious with the application to the lenses than you do in a mask...