cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the s6 developer version work for the s7?

CaptainJasper
Honored Guest
Hello, I've recently taken an interest in developing my own VR app for the samsung vr, but I can't find a developer version for the samsung galaxy s7. Will the s6 version work for the s7?
Additionally, what's the difference between the developer version and consumer version ? I already have a consumer version that I got free with my phone, will this work for developing apps?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

You can develop apps without a Gear VR headset, just as you can develop an app for the Rift without the headset.  You need the headset to test your app.

Yes, you can use any of the headsets Jasper - Innovator or Consumer.

I don't believe the S7 phone fits into the S6 Innovator Edition of the Gear VR - i believe it's very close but no, not quite.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

View solution in original post

Jinnisaurus
Expert Protege
I think this was answered before somewhere. 
As andyring said, both headsets are the same. The innovator editions (S6 and Note4) are released for developers (or impatient consumers), before the consumer edition. Their basic hardware are the same (despite some structural differences).

The S6 innovator edition could not fit the S7 due to the slight difference in position of the S7's USB port.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

You can develop apps without a Gear VR headset, just as you can develop an app for the Rift without the headset.  You need the headset to test your app.

Yes, you can use any of the headsets Jasper - Innovator or Consumer.

I don't believe the S7 phone fits into the S6 Innovator Edition of the Gear VR - i believe it's very close but no, not quite.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Jinnisaurus
Expert Protege
I think this was answered before somewhere. 
As andyring said, both headsets are the same. The innovator editions (S6 and Note4) are released for developers (or impatient consumers), before the consumer edition. Their basic hardware are the same (despite some structural differences).

The S6 innovator edition could not fit the S7 due to the slight difference in position of the S7's USB port.